Cop at my door

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why did you even open the door?? there is no law that says you have to open the door... if they had a warrent they woulda kicked your door in. I'd never open the door for a police officer.

2123 was a meter maid not a cop.

not according to him..............................

Wasn't there a big stink raised about this in the chainsaw forum years back where someone asked him to go into detail about his ultra top-secret clandestine missions and he said he wasn't able to discuss it for X amount of years because it was so top secret and ultra-classified the world would've ended as we know it? But then the guy who killed Osama bin Laden from Seal Team 6 was able to come forward with an interview. So maybe that Seal Team 6 mission wasn't as high-level as Dano's...........

:innocent:

:laugh:

Butternut and bitternut hickory are two different trees. There is also mockernut and pignut hickory. Butternut ( white walnut) has brown wood similar to black walnut, but not as dark. That looks like hickory to me.

Butternut and bitternut hickory are two different trees. There is also mockernut and pignut hickory. Butternut ( white walnut) has brown wood similar to black walnut, but not as dark. That looks like hickory to me.

That's what I thought too, butternut trees grow short and fat around here.

why did you even open the door?? there is no law that says you have to open the door... if they had a warrent they woulda kicked your door in. I'd never open the door for a police officer.
May not kick in the door but they would not ask permission. With a warrant they could demand it. Without a warrant, nobody has a right to ask me for anything. Whether I grant their request is up to me, not them.

Well, I live in a small town, and our cops here are good folk. I know many of them personally, and have only had good experiences with our cops. As others have said, if you don't do anything wrong, there is no need to fear a cop.

However, times are changing, and some areas it's wise to fear the cops. But not here, not yet.

Butternut Hickory it is! Good job.

(Actually I wasn't sure myself - I just wanted to sound like I really knew.)

What concerns me is why this broke off so easily - is butternut really that brittle? Tree seems very healthy, and that wood was sound.

Agreed that it's not called "Butternut Hickory" but just Butternut.
However, there is a tree called Bitternut Hickory. Has a different fatter compound leaf and a smaller, more round nut.
I have three Bitternut Hickories in front front forest.
I just sold the rounds for a Huge Butternut tree that I felled and blocked up from a friends waterfront cottage last year.
They use Butternut a lot in woodcarving as it's very soft , so I got premium dollar for the half cord of 14" diameter blocks.

OK, Butternut is indeed a form of Walnut - White Walnut, as it's also called. Juglans cinerea, is the latin name.

VERY low on BTU's - worse than willow.

Bitternut hickory on the other hand is good stuff - quite high on BTU's.

Compound leaves are VERY similar, but the easiest difference is the nut/fruit.

BITTERNUT (Hickory)
the veins are symmetrical/opposite
bitternut-leaf-virginiatech.jpg
images

BUTTERNUT (Walnut)
the veins are asymmetrical/alternate
butternut-06.jpg
BUTTERNUT-photo.jpg

Judging by the fruit, I've got the Bitternut Hickory.

I don't recall if hickory has bigger nuts than butternut, but during my white walnut craze they started to call me butternuts. True story.
Most of my furniture I had custom made with butternut I got out of the bush.

I think the real question here is why does the cop think you own a house down the street... Are you a local real estate magnate?

Sort of. He asked the neighbors who were standing around, and they all know me and where I live.

Not a RE magnate yet - I've only got 4 properties rented out, but working on more!

UPDATE - well, we were all wrong on this one. Was in the yard just now and wondering where all these pecan nuts were coming from. No question on what a pecan looks like, and I even pulled some off the tree to make sure they didn't bounce there from elsewhere.

pecan1.jpg
pecan-leaf-2.jpg

Lots of similarities, and the nut husk looks very similar to the Bitternut.

Dang I wish this Tree ID business was a lot easier! :cry:

Back