NEW WOOD STOVE...ID?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMC615

Wood's Tougher Than Woodpecker Lips...
Reaction score
Fellas, ran across a guy at work a few weeks ago, said he had a wood stove for sale. He wanted $250 for it but didn't know the manufacturer of it. I went and looked at it after work one day, and walked with it for $150...(when I told him I only had at the moment about $140-150 on me, he said 'I'll let ya have it for $150, back your truck up over here to the shop'...wasn't gonna stick around and argue with that, lol). He's since retired and was just looking at not having to haul it to San Antonio where he was moving back to. His brother bought him the stove and he had no idea where it was purchased from.

Anyhow, it has never seen the first fire...I had to unbox the feet sitting on the inside of it and install those. It's the exact same size and dimension of the Vogelzang 94,000 BTU, model BX42E that sells for around $350 or so. The only differences are; my side walls have a different design cast into them, my flue collar is a little shorter than the Vogelzang, and my front door air flow damper is at 6 o'clock whereas the Vogelzang's air damper is at 12 o'clock. Other than that, they are identical. Nowhere on the entire stove is there any cast or stamped manufacturers name, nothing. The riveted plates in the front are nothing but a 'caution' plate and a plate showing minimal distance from a wall, etc., and that's it. It's built solid, thick cast...quite heavy.

Was wondering if some of you folks may recognize it by looks or something and can pinpoint a manufacturer possibly. Just curious...is all.

17d4fc9e953d3f9fb3c1b7fb57733e6a.jpg

9711cd81e15edba6d0bc166ca9a45175.jpg

92bf87a2163b81990c97b20cc88d1327.jpg

2e80cc55b0ca187b871e689b8bbbc97d.jpg

396d8b82301a08d8f22a04db2360944b.jpg

8a35352a9c55a623688b6bfbb95ec3a5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

those tags on the back don't list a model number?

never mind, just saw you addressed them

I have no idea what brand they sell, but that looks a lot like the stoves I have seen at Harbor Freight over the years. Seems like those might be Vogelzangs though, if I am remembering correctly. Can't seem to find them on their website right now.

I have no idea what brand they sell, but that looks a lot like the stoves I have seen at Harbor Freight over the years. Seems like those might be Vogelzangs though, if I am remembering correctly. Can't seem to find them on their website right now.
Hadn't given HF two thoughts Sledge to be honest with ya...I'll pull'em up and see what I can find.

I wouldn't get too excited ..Probably only 150$ brand new at the store

Vogelzang Box wood stove. Buddy of mine has one in his shop. He paid about that new. Does a decent job heating his shop.

Vogelzang Box wood stove. Buddy of mine has one in his shop. He paid about that new. Does a decent job heating his shop.
That's exactly where this is going, in my shop, to replace a much smaller wood stove. ..appreciate ya chimin in.

His shop is insulated and, I f remember right 22 X 30?? I think? Like I said does a pretty decent job. Makes it warm enough to drink a couple cases of beer anyways...

He did get it at tractor supply. So maybe it is that logwood?? Either way it does the job with ease.

I paid $200+ for one like it at Tractor supply, only that one looks better. certainly has better air controls.. You did good, especially New.... :)

i got one in my shop it will run you out :eek:
you need to keep a eye on it since it suffers from not being air tight it will take off like a rocket
i would recommend a damper or don't build large fires in it.

This is one of those models that should have a inline flu damper . The heat will go right up the flu and also without a damper it will overfire easily being leaky as it is . In my experience These burn hot and really radiate the heat out but with a poor burn time thats just a couple hours . I've seen a guy use a magic heat reclaimer on one with surprisingly good results .the ones I saw are held together with nothing but chimney cement. I'd never leave these style burners unattended with a fire going

if you can braze or seal the joints and gaps and add a simple grate it would greatly improve the stove

Hadn't given HF two thoughts Sledge to be honest with ya...I'll pull'em up and see what I can find.

My uncle had one from HF in his farm shop and it did fine, so if it ends up being that I wouldn't be too upset. You may not have gotten a steal, but still a decent deal and at the very least, those stoves are old-timey and kinda pretty when you really look at them.

if you can braze or seal the joints and gaps and add a simple grate it would greatly improve the stove
Yeh, all the joints and seams have been caulked with high-temp caulk...but I'll probably run another bead on all the seams before I set it in place and crank it up this winter.

If the stove came from TSC it's probably a "US STOVE" works.Those box stoves really kick the heat!The stove pipe needs a damper and if all the seams are well sealed ,the draft is closed down fairly tight,a 4 to 5 hour burn is not out of reach with hard wood.

Latest posts

Back