Who works by light at night?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrider

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Heat wave hit this past weekend with lots of humidity. I was out cutting/splitting in the field Sunday morning from about 6am-11am before I called it a day. I then got thinking about working at night since the heat was sticking around for a few days (94-96 degrees). I headed out that night at 9pm with a headlamp on instead of my hat and found it to be enough light and pretty enjoyable even though temps were still in the low 80's. I worked just over 3 hours and wrapped things up a little after midnight. The heat has broke, mid 80's today with little humidity and a nice breeze but I know I will be working by light in the future. Who else has worked on firewood at night?

Do this all the time... but not because of heat...

I work night shift alot and on my nights off i still stay up all night. I do pretty much everything i would if it were daylight. Neighbors are 1/2 mile away so i try not to make too much noise.

We have huge parking lot lights on the back of the shop. We can work all night long if we had to.

Attachments

• IMG_0057.JPG
    IMG_0057.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0058.JPG
    IMG_0058.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 65
I do in the winter, mostly cause it's dark a good part of the day. Have lights on the processor, skid steer and off the outside wall of the kiln building which is where my processor is.

Summer it's light nearly 24 hrs so it's not an issue.

I have a Fenix HP25 headlamp with twin 160 lumen lamps (one flood, one spot lens) that's invaluable for working in the dark.

I wouldn't think of felling trees, or even limbing downed ones with it (not enough peripheral vision), but for spinning wrenches, and other tasks it's been a game changer.

Heat wave hit this past weekend with lots of humidity. I was out cutting/splitting in the field Sunday morning from about 6am-11am before I called it a day. I then got thinking about working at night since the heat was sticking around for a few days (94-96 degrees). I headed out that night at 9pm with a headlamp on instead of my hat and found it to be enough light and pretty enjoyable even though temps were still in the low 80's. I worked just over 3 hours and wrapped things up a little after midnight. The heat has broke, mid 80's today with little humidity and a nice breeze but I know I will be working by light in the future. Who else has worked on firewood at night?

I've got two big dusk-to-dawn security lights on my barn. One lights up the area between my barn and house, and the other is hanging on the end of the barn right above my wood pile and splitting area. I especially love having them there during deer season so I don't have to waste daylight splitting wood. Hanging a light above your treestand so you can hunt at night is frowned upon for some reason, but splitting wood at night hasn't got me in any trouble yet. :p

My conveyor is electric so I have juice running to where I'm splitting anyway so it's quick and easy for me to get the lights going. I also only split or move stuff using the tractor in the dark. I work long hours and am away from home a lot so have to make wood when the sun don't shine sometimes.

I absolutely do. 98* today and forecast said to break 100* tomorrow. The heat index is 109* to 119*
According to my laser thermometer my gravel driveway is 140*.
The rounds sitting out in the sun are reading 120*+
No wonder it only takes 2 months for split wood to season. lol
That's almost kiln temps.
I start about an hour before dusk and work in shifts most of the night.
It's still 85* at night with 90% humidity.

299.jpg I split in the dark quite a bit in the winter just because it gets dark so quick. The splitter motor has a generator on it so, yes the splitter has lights on it. I have never worked at night to beat the heat, but I like the idea.

Lots of skeeters at night. I usually just do inside work when I do anything.
Skeeters go away shortly after dark around here. I was thinking though when I got started (9pm) these bugs are driving me crazy.

Back