Cutting/Splitting for a Children's Camp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back up for another round of cutting at the camp tomorrow. @MustangMike has generously offered to come up and help plus I get to try out a few of his awesome saws. I've flagged another 32 dying/dead trees for removal, mostly sugar maple with a few ash, cherry, and other species mixed in.

I was somehow able to lose my roll of bright pink flagging tape in the woods. I'm sure it will show come fall when the vegetation dies down.

Yesterday @MustangMike showed up with his very excellent stable of saws and we put a hurting on the dead and dying trees around camp. To my count, 33 trees came down with several of them over 20".

As @the GOAT says, the 362 C-M is awesome (especially when modded by Randy) but I personally liked Mike's 044 even better. And that square filed chain made short work of even the hard maple we were cutting.

Sorry I'm a little short on pics but we were working pretty hard all day and I forgot to take more. I'm heading over there later this morning to do some work with the pole saw on their hiking trails.

Many thanks to Mike for his help!!!

Mike's @Mastermind 044
image.jpg

Started the morning with this big red elm, about 28" DBH.
image.jpg

Finished off with this big hard maple. Here's Mike doing the honors.
image.jpg

Did about 4 hours of work with the pole saw and chainsaw on the camps hiking trails today. Pole saw really worked slick to dismantle a large three-pronged red maple that had hung up across the trail.

we cut and split for a local baptist kid camp every year here in TN. We usely have 15 to 20 people cutten and splitten, with 3 splitters going.You can make a lot of fire wood with that many people working at it. They do go thru a lot of fire wood don't they.

Pole saw work this morning. One whoopsie so far. First chain I've ever broken.

View attachment 437693

Ooops!

I had a misfortune with a brand new husky bar today, didn't even make it one tank and the sprocket tip jammed. Took me 1/2 an hour to unjam it, relube it, work it back and forth until the chain sorta turned, then ran it hard not in the cut. It worked then, but still sucked. Cheap laminated bar, but brand new. I see why guys with ported 346s go for like a sugihara or something, that saw deserves something better.

we cut and split for a local baptist kid camp every year here in TN. We usely have 15 to 20 people cutten and splitten, with 3 splitters going.You can make a lot of fire wood with that many people working at it. They do go thru a lot of fire wood don't they.
We've got a lot of wood on the ground now (easily over 10 cords). One of the male counselors keeps the supply sufficient for the campfires but we really need to rent a hydro and get a work crew out there and get the rest done. After two summers of cutting we finally aren't looking at dead crowns any longer. I've personally cut/been with the person cutting for about 80 of the trees that have come down.

Sorry to derail but will this be used this year or next? Our Church has 22 acres of tall pines and they want to do some firewood with them, I offered to lay them but didn't know what time frame would be needed before they burn.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Sorry to derail but will this be used this year or next? Our Church has 22 acres of tall pines and they want to do some firewood with them, I offered to lay them but didn't know what time frame would be needed before they burn.

Thanks and keep up the good work.
Will be used for 2017 and beyond.

Weather pending I'll be back at it tomorrow. Going to be a lot of noodling to get all of those big rounds down to size (scroll up a few posts to see the wood we are working with).

One of the trees we cut this summer was a big white ash suffering from eab. I whacked one 20" round that @MustangMike anf I cut last summer 9 times with the fiskars tonight and it didn't even consider cracking. I'll noodle those halfway and see if they become less stubborn.

Working through rain (it warmed up to 54 here) I got a lot of bucking done. Still need to noodle the bigger rounds but now the main area of trees has been reduced to rounds. Mostly hard maple with one big red elm too. Found some gravel with the 2186 in the crotch of the elm but still cuts ok.

Really impressed with the 562. Using cheap Rotary brand chain (which cuts really nice but stretches a lot) it really rips through the hardwood.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Today was a great day to be cutting. And as I had lots of nice hardwood waiting I took advantage of it by putting in three and a half more hours of trigger time. Ironically I used the same amount of fuel as I did in over five hours on Tuesday because I wasn't fighting branches and weather.

Started off with a nice American elm and two big black cherries. Amazingly they were very solid despite being dead and having bark falling off before I cut them. These trees have been on the ground for a year due to being infested with PI. The pi I did encounter on them was very crunchy and broke off nicely when scraped with the saw bar so hopefully it was sitting long enough to neutralize the oils. So far so good for me.

Took down some widow makers around the property (one was a little scary) to make sure they wouldn't be falling on campers.

Finally finished up by stumping and noodling the big pieces at the main cutting area.

Total for two cutting sessions was 7 tanks of fuel through the 562 and one through the 2186. The 562/20" will significantly outcut the 2186/28" until you get into bar buried wood with the smaller saw then the cubes make the difference.

Did I mention the 562 really rips? It does.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Today was a great day to be cutting. And as I had lots of nice hardwood waiting I took advantage of it by putting in three and a half more hours of trigger time. Ironically I used the same amount of fuel as I did in over five hours on Tuesday because I wasn't fighting branches and weather.

Started off with a nice American elm and two big black cherries. Amazingly they were very solid despite being dead and having bark falling off before I cut them. These trees have been on the ground for a year due to being infested with PI. The pi I did encounter on them was very crunchy and broke off nicely when scraped with the saw bar so hopefully it was sitting long enough to neutralize the oils. So far so good for me.

Took down some widow makers around the property (one was a little scary) to make sure they wouldn't be falling on campers.

Finally finished up by stumping and noodling the big pieces at the main cutting area.

Total for two cutting sessions was 7 tanks of fuel through the 562 and one through the 2186. The 562/20" will significantly outcut the 2186/28" until you get into bar buried wood with the smaller saw then the cubes make the difference.

Did I mention the 562 really rips? It does.
Well done on your effort. Cutting stacking etc. looks like a real PITA to me with all the overgrown ground cover you are working in.

Latest posts

Back