Need some tractor knowledge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,
Good luck on finding anything good for 5K. Anything in that range will be real small or very old. I ended up paying 13K for a 4WD, 35HP New Holland with a FEL and cab. That was the best deal I could find and I still look at used tractor prices and they have only gone up. Also, I could never run a snowblower on the back and have to be twisted around trying to see where I am going .....I'm too old for that...the old body doesn't twist like it used to !!!!!! Good luck on the hunt, but I think you will be ponying up more money!!!!

Henry and Wanda

I have a pair of David Brown 995 diesel tractors that were built in the 70s. One has the pto clutch on the foot pedal and the other has an independent hand clutch for pto. 65 hp, parts available at Case dealers or ebay, 12 forward and 4 reverse gears. One runs a 7 ft snowblower among other attachments, the other has a loader which I added a skid steer type quick attach to. Reliable tractors, good value if you find a gently used/ well maintained one. I have owned them for 15 yrs with very few repairs.

Henry & Wanda pretty much hit the nail on the head! That price range will be a real challenge. I use a Ford 5000 diesel, they made a gas version also, to do my tree (log) moving, with a home made 3pt. boom pole. I have kinda been looking to get a front end loader for this tractor. I want to ditch the old aftermarket cab this thing has had on it since I bought it in 1986. Just make it more handy to get into tight spots in the woods.

The Ford 5000 tractor you can find in the $5000 and up range. It is 65hp, independent pto, 8spd trans,. Gears 1-4 in low range. Then 5-8 in high range. Will handle a 3pt blower, bush hog, or whatever pretty well. I have used a 3pt. log splitter on it also. The only draw back to that is the hyd. pump on these tractors is pretty low gpm. I think in the 7-8 gpm. So cycle time is slower, plenty of power, just slower.

The tractor is big enough to handle some heavy work, while its size is not overly huge. I used to use it as my corn planting tractor. Pulled a 6 row JD 7000 planter with dry fertilizer, for many years. 120-150 ac. of corn a year.
Parts are not exceptionally hard to find. They made a lot of these tractors. As far as the Fords go, I would suggest any of the 3000, 4000, 5000 series of tractors. All made mostly in the mid 1960's to late 1970's. Both gas & diesel versions were made.

I would love a newer tractor, like a New Holland, 4x4, with loader etc. But just way out of my price range. The older I get, the more I want a front end loader. LOL For a lot of reasons. I have a 1950 8n also. Its great for small jobs like pulling my wood trailer all over, even in the woods. There are more parts available for the N tractors now, than when they were new. But I wouldn't rec emend them for what you are wanting to do.

GTGwood%20016_zpsz91zw3o6.jpg

GTGwood015_zps0651a397.jpg

Gregg,

As a small land owner I find my little 30 HP 4x4 Kubota is all I really want or need. I do not run a bucket on the front but the class 2 3pt hitch is able to take most other tools you might want. Buckets are made to fit it but so far they have not tempted me. My old 3010 Deere is much bigger and more powerful but I do not like it as well.

There are a lot of tractors around here for 5K or less. I am just trying to wade through all the options. Yes they are older stuff but that doesnt bother me as long as they will do what I want)
BTW, I won't pony up more money. This is really more of a WANT than a NEED and my wants have price limits.

International Farmall are good cheap tractors to buy. I have 656 farmall with loader I would take 5 grand for. I use a 1962 D17 Allis (52hp)for mowing with shredder because i like the hand clutch for moving forward to reverse without stopping pto with foot clutch. John Deere are higher but also have a much better resale. I also think New Holland tractors are nice my friend has a 1510 diesel 4 wd that is very nice smaller tractor.

I have 2 tractors an old International 454 that would do just about all you want.The other one is a newer 50 HP Made by LG.I have the front loader and 4WD.I hardly ever use the 454 anymore that newer LG just plain does more.I take the bucket off and put forks on and I have an instant bench.I can haul several 6 to 8 foot logs out on the forks and cut them in place.If I use a Pallet I can just set the loader at the same hgth as the log splitter and just slide them onto the splitter.

As far as brush hogging no problem with it.I seldom drag logs anymore unless I am making boards.I just cut them to size that the forks will handle.They stay a lot cleaner that way and your chains stay sharper longer.

I hope in the next year or 2 I can take the dive and buy a newer one with a cab.Just something special about a dry set,heat and A/C.

Haven't seen them mentioned but you may also consider massey Ferguson 35, 50, 65, 135, 150, 165. They made most of those models in gas and diesel. They all had ps, live power, high/low transmission. 35 is only 30hp but we farmed with one for years. Ran a 5 foot brush hog, square bailer, single bottom plow, 8 foot disc. They come with Perkins diesel or continental gas engines which are both at the top of the pack for reliability and ease of repairs. Sounds to me like a 35-40 hp tractor would do what you need with the caveat that you will need to load the tires and purchase a set of tire chains for winter duty. I have a new Holland tc40 4wd with a FEL plus 2 sets of rear wheel weights and I still add chains for snow duty.

The AC tractors (D-series and 1xx series such as D-17, D-19, 170, 180, etc.) had a "Power Director" for high/low range. Basically a 3-position hand lever Low-Neutral-High. You can use it for starting and stopping, but it's much smoother using the foot clutch. They had a 4 forward/1 reverse gear on the floor, giving you a total of 8 speeds forward/2 reverse.

They do not have live PTO, so when you press in the foot clutch, the PTO stops. Like was said, for brush hogging or snowblowing, you could have your hand on the power director lever for quick stops, while keeping the PTO operational, so it's not a terrible option.

2 weekends ago I helped my uncle make all of the hay on the farm (where I live). We used an AC One Eighty (60 HP I-6 2wd fullsize), Long (not sure of model, 60 HP 4wd compact), Deutz-Allis 6265 (65 HP I-4 4wd fullsize), an AC 7000 (~100 HP Turbo I-6 2wd fullsize), and a Farmall 1066 Turbo (~120 HP Turbo I-6 2wd fullsize).

The AC tractors and the Farmall did the major field work. Even though the Long and the AC One Eighty have the same HP rating, they are by no means equal tractors. The AC definitely out pulls, and can run implements with authority that the Long struggled with. The bigger tractors are obviously draft machines, that were used for their intended purpose. The Deutz-Allis was having fuel system issues, but in general, I can say that in terms of pulling power and PTO power, it falls in between the AC one eighty and the Long.

For example, running a 4' x 4' round baler, the AC didn't skip a beat. The Deutz-Allis can run it, but has trouble pulling and keeping the baler spinning when it starts getting full. The Long just plain struggles. I wouldn't hesitate to run the AC to pull a square baler and wagon, but just pulling loaded wagons with the Long can be a bit squirrely, since it doesn't have the weight behind it.

Too long / Didn't read: for the same HP rating, a fullsize tractor will do more work, but doesn't have the turning radius or ability to track through the woods. Your needs will tell you which is better in your case. I would say that if you can find an old AC dealer (maybe dealing in Massey Ferguson or White now) who knows where to find old AC parts, you can't go wrong. I also like the older IH/Farmalls, and some of the Fords, but can't find any reason to pay extra for the JD green paint. The neighbors have them, and run the heck out of them, but burn 25%-50% more fuel for the same work accomplished, and pay a lot more for parts.

MF of the old design must be the easiest to get parts for, MF 35, 135, 165.

Sent fra min Nexus 5 via Tapatalk

Actually the allis I was looking at was the one that guy that said the hand clutch was great for what I wanted to do. (of course he was trying to sell it to me as well) His logic did make sense though (if true) He claimed the hand clutch affected the tranny only. You could feather it slowing yourself down in heavy brush or snow while the pto remained at full power.
Somewhere in our conversation he mentioned that these tractors were primarily designed to work crops. Brush hogging, snowblowing, pulling trees, etc was and afterthought. His meaning was that a great tractor for a cornfield might not be the best tractor for me.

On a side note. He commented with a laugh.. "the only good an 8N has is to paint up pretty and drive it in a parade... haha

The AC D series had the hi/lo power directer.They were one GOOD tractor.For some reason I thought he was trying to sell you a WD series.

The WD has a true hand clutch. The D series has the power director. Both have their uses, but I like the newer D series better.

One thing to make sure of. You mentioned skidding logs. Many an old farmer died skidding things. Going forward, if you hang up the load, the pivot point is the rear axle and half a turn of the rear tire and you are upside down. It happens so fast you couldn't start to push the clutch and brake in fast enough. Roll over protection will help, but having your head and back smash into the front of that log hurts. FEL is the way to go. I had a 42 HP diesel JD 2010, should never have let it go. Now all I have is one of those parade tractors made by Ford. Mine is a 641 which is a 31 HP over head valve version of the Ford N series. Had a chance to buy a real nice JD 2010 at an auction a couple years ago and passed on it because it was gas, Yes I'm not very bright some times. A friend has a JD 4020 and that is one nice tractor. I think 4X4 makes a big difference on compacts, but on stuff the size of the 2010 and bigger I was happy with 2 wheel drive, Joe.

To who ever said 2wd tractor are useless - I disagree - my little hay tractor is 68hp / 64 pto jd 5400 its 2 wheel drive with a loader. It has 16.9-30 tires filled and I really don't have many times that I need front assist. I pull an old 14ft bushhog with it, do quite a bit of loader work. If you get stuck you can walk out using the loader.

Lot of crap been posted here to wade thru. I would stick to a wide front end tractor my self.
Many a old tractor form the 1960's and up in the 50 to 70 HP range sell for 5000 or less won't be beautiful nesserly but will run good..

I have a 1965 Ford 5000 gas And is a gas hog big time. and I am here to tell you it will blow snow over 70 feet with a 84" blower and it has LIVE PTO so if a big drift starts to bog you down you press the clutch a bit to stop tractor motion yet the blower will run and clear out. I would not worry about winter starting a diesel I would put a engine block heater in one of the soft plug holes. On my 5000 it warms the engine so warm it will melt snow off the hood. I also like the trac lock. Been stuck and hooked a chain on one wheel and locked the rear up and pulled it out. Parts are easy to find on the internet and at ford dealers. Caution should be used when you look at a SLECT O SHIFT trans ford. Commonly called selct o junk by many.
Here is one.
http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9342443

I also have a Allis D 17 a gas model and much easier than the Ford on fuel yet has close to the same power. Problem is the 3 point hitch with the early ones was a after market unit or a home made unit as Allis used what they called snap coupler system, not a bad set up but only used on Allis tractors so equipment can get pricy. Newer Allis D series can have a 3 point hitch but being newer and having that 3 point can be a bigger cost than 5000.
It does not have trac lock and I have been stuck in a little mud the 5000 Ford would power thru with the rear locked. It will also run the 84" snow blower very well. You use the power director to stop tractor motion and yet the blower will clear its self by keeping running.
Most D 17s will cost less than a Ford 5000.
Parts are easy to find on the net and at the Argo dealer.

Here is one with a front loader and home made 3 point hitch.
http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=8640193

My brother has a 1959 Massey Ferguson 65 Diesel. It is a nice tractor Uses the clutch set up like the Ford for live power. he runs a Gorge White 7 foot snow blower with it and it does a very good job. Has mutla power which it roughly hi low range. Uses way less fuel than even my gas D 17, starts easy on 30 below zero days but he does have it shedded in the winter and plugs in the block heater. Has plenty of power for about any farm chore Brother pulls a 4 bottom trailer plow in mixed clay dark loam soil. Of course it had the famous Ferguson 3 point hitch.

Here is one.
http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=7842667

Neighbor has a IH 606 It came with what IH called a fast hitch so needed a aftermarket kit to give it 3 point. His is a gas model and seems to not be a gas hog. It has what is called a TA or Torque Amplifier that allows you to down shift to low range if the tractor starts lugging to keep the load moving. Parts are easy to get off the net and at Case IH dealers.
I could not find one for sale but this is a picture of one.

a16726.jpg

Case and David browns like 995s I don't know a lot about or know any one with one. I have heard they are easy on fuel and parts can be found off the net and at Case IH dealers.
I could not find any for sale either.
A picture of one.
DSCI1096.jpg

There is also Moline's, Oliver's and White to consider parts can be found on the net and at Argo dealers same as Massey Ferguson, And Allis Chambers.

These are all American built tractors from the late 1950's to the early 1970's.

Many a farmer plowed and worked up hundreds of thousands of acres of crop land in Just 2 wheel drive. Many a lumber man skidded logs out of the woods with those tractors also. Just use your head and be care full.
A lumber yard near my Brother has 4, 1100 and 1135 MF tractors they still lumber with and even run their saw mill with one.

I collect Massey Harris tractors and Have from the little 11HP pony to the 71HP 555 diesel

:D Al

Haven't seen them mentioned but you may also consider massey Ferguson 35, 50, 65, 135, 150, 165. They made most of those models in gas and diesel. They all had ps, live power, high/low transmission. 35 is only 30hp but we farmed with one for years. Ran a 5 foot brush hog, square bailer, single bottom plow, 8 foot disc. They come with Perkins diesel or continental gas engines which are both at the top of the pack for reliability and ease of repairs. Sounds to me like a 35-40 hp tractor would do what you need with the caveat that you will need to load the tires and purchase a set of tire chains for winter duty. I have a new Holland tc40 4wd with a FEL plus 2 sets of rear wheel weights and I still add chains for snow duty.

I own a 158 MF , has a 56 hp diesel engine works great. There used here in Sw France in thé vineyards. Pulls great, nô 4 wheel drive on them, great low Diesel consumption [emoji2]

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

Not sure why the 5ohp? Thats a lot of tractor. My grandpa farmed over 200 acres with two Massey Ferguson 135's. We plowed with 2 16" plows, disc with a king 7' disc, 7' bush hog and a 9 shank tillage tool and who knows what else! These are great tractors one has 6800 hrs on it and the other has 7200 on it. Both had new pistons and sleeves and thats it! You can do a lot with a 35-40 hp tractor!

MF135 has a 47 hp engine and thats starting to get to small for many pto attatchment.

Sent fra min Nexus 5 via Tapatalk

Back