I like almost everything about firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a nice Jackson wheelbarrow that is almost pleasant to use. It balances nice, has good capacity and the ergonomics are near perfect for me. I've also got a TruValue brand wheelbarrow that I'm real tempted to put by the curb with a "FREE" sign on it. I paid good money for it a couple years back wish I hadn't.

Get a DR power wagon. Wouldn't be without mine for moving wood from the stacks to the basement. Got mine off craigslist for a song. I added 2x4 vertical posts so it can carry more firewood. The thing is a work horse.

I keep my wood pile stacked outside of the house and only bring in enough for a week or little more. I use one of these. It's 10 cubic ft and the dual front wheels are awesome. I can pile wood 2 ' over the top. Luckily I only need to move it 10-20 feet max into the basement. Moving it from my cutting area up to the house is done with the pickup truck. I use to cut, split and move a truck load at a time up to the house but haven't been moving any this year. I'm thinking about renting a dump trailer and move it in one day.
image.jpg
BTW, this will not fit through a standard man door. You'll need a roll up door or wider than 32".

I think of I did not have a tractor a Dr powered wheel barrel would be a great tool

I love being in the woods cutting , I enjoy splitting and stacking ,feeding and cleaning the woodburner has never felt like a chore , but now its time to move a winters worth of wood into the cellar .Im getting real tired of the wheelbarrow .
have you tried hanging out at home depot on Monday mornings...might find an "American" maybe even two, willing to do the work for cheap:innocent:...may need to supervise the stacking though

I love being in the woods cutting , I enjoy splitting and stacking ,feeding and cleaning the woodburner has never felt like a chore , but now its time to move a winters worth of wood into the cellar .Im getting real tired of the wheelbarrow .
you could hire some kids to trow the wood in the cellar from an out side window

if I could get it through the cellar door id have one

I use one of the heavy duty 4-wheel pull wagons like you see around hothouses. Fits through my back porch door, load at the stacks, pull either by hand or drop the handle over the ball hitch on the rider mower, pull through the door and unload. I put in 4 stacks 13'x6'x16" every fall. Usually lasts to late Jan or into Feb. Then I start feeding from the woodshed a wagon load or two at a time for the rest of the season. Wouldn't work at all, of course, if it involves steps.

Harry K

I've used one of these for a few years: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200494852_200494852

It's about 16" wide, and loaded with a couple hundred pounds of 16-inchers it fits right through a narrow door opening. Much easier to control than any wheelbarrow I've seen, and takes up much less space. I love K.I.S.S. Bring in a week's worth in minutes.

Only problem so far: the tubes failed. Couple bucks for replacements from HF, and back in business.

I've used one of these for a few years: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200494852_200494852

It's about 16" wide, and loaded with a couple hundred pounds of 16-inchers it fits right through a narrow door opening. Much easier to control than any wheelbarrow I've seen, and takes up much less space. I love K.I.S.S. Bring in a week's worth in minutes.

Only problem so far: the tubes failed. Couple bucks for replacements from HF, and back in business.
get flat free tires for that bad boy and be done forever

I keep my wood pile stacked outside of the house and only bring in enough for a week or little more. I use one of these. It's 10 cubic ft and the dual front wheels are awesome. I can pile wood 2 ' over the top. Luckily I only need to move it 10-20 feet max into the basement. Moving it from my cutting area up to the house is done with the pickup truck. I use to cut, split and move a truck load at a time up to the house but haven't been moving any this year. I'm thinking about renting a dump trailer and move it in one day.
View attachment 440284
BTW, this will not fit through a standard man door. You'll need a roll up door or wider than 32".

+1

I have a Jackson 2-wheel wheelbarrow that I use to haul wood from our stacks to the breezeway between the house and garage. I have a couple of skids that will hold 2 weeks worth of wood. We don't get snow here but we can get plenty of rain so going through the yard isn't that bad.

I just load up the Gator and drive it into the basement. One load will last a week. I have used the scoop on my ventrac tractor and hauled into the basement that way, but it takes two loads instead of one with the gator to last a week.

I've been stacking wood on pallets and then using stretch netting to hold it together for moving with the bobcat. Bucked rounds from the woodlot come right off the back of the truck to the splitter then stacked on a pallet. Once 5' high I wrap it with stretch netting. Any wood moving is then done with the bobcat/forks from processing area to seasoning area to garage and my other outbuildings heated with wood.palletOfirewood.JPG stretchnetting.JPG

Back