Old dog, learning new tricks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jere39

Outdoorsman and Pup
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
One more thing checked off on my Bucket List

I do a lot of the maintenance things around our church. We have a pair of Honey Locusts bracketing the front of our main entrance. And, they have frankly over-grown their space, and have started encroaching on surrounding buildings. They have provided an aerial access pathway for squirrels to the roof of the building on the right, an old parsonage that is now an office building. A local Tree Service owner was willing to loan us his bucket truck for a Saturday. So, at a reasonably mature age, I got my first experience in a bucket, spent the afternoon with a single length pole saw and a very handy Stihl 025 and trimmed these two down to a more reasonable size.

8kaAlRfve-uc1dTK4QxfN_4bx3hxBb0NCrAfE1gzchU=w1162-h871-no

Turned an almost impossible job into a pretty easy task. We have an old drainage gully/ravine behind our Church where we dumped all the brush, and two of the ground crew filled pick-up trucks with anything over 6-8" for their respective future wood burning.

kMJVGze4VxTXOs9YII1V2-_j6JYECIA3fwO9RYSZCq4=w654-h871-no

So, for the price of a full tank of gas in the truck when we were finished, and several hours of our time; We are good to go for several more years.

I don't disagree, I personally have spent a half or full day cutting for a friend or neighbor rather than loaning them a chainsaw. Not sure if I don't loan more for liability reasons, or risk of mis-use and abuse, but the result is the same. FWIW, Todd is a great guy, and I am certain he does not loan anything to just anyone either.

I don't disagree, I personally have spent a half or full day cutting for a friend or neighbor rather than loaning them a chainsaw. Not sure if I don't loan more for liability reasons, or risk of mis-use and abuse, but the result is the same. FWIW, Todd is a great guy, and I am certain he does not loan anything to just anyone either.

Good deal. May you be blessed for your service. Did you have to rig any of those cuts? Post some after pics if you get a chance.

That was very considerate of the bucket owner. But for him to have a gas burner in the truck for me is strange. With all the use the engine gets, it is strange.

It was a GMC v8, though I don't know which size. It was fine on the property. When we returned it, it was a good thing there was a passing lane on the only significant hill we had to drive up. Everything, including loaded tractor trailers were zipping by us. And, since I don't know the tank size, nor how full it was when we picked it up, I really can't guess how much gas we used. But, beggars can't also be choosers.

It was a GMC v8, though I don't know which size. It was fine on the property. When we returned it, it was a good thing there was a passing lane on the only significant hill we had to drive up. Everything, including loaded tractor trailers were zipping by us. And, since I don't know the tank size, nor how full it was when we picked it up, I really can't guess how much gas we used. But, beggars can't also be choosers.
From a quad and small trailer to a bucket truck Jer!? Next you'll be hauling logs with grapple! Lol. Good on you for helping the church. It's a pretty one too. I hope you were able to get a few honey locust sticks yourself. I've always wanted to try it out myself but never seem to find any.

From a quad and small trailer to a bucket truck Jer!? Next you'll be hauling logs with grapple! Lol. Good on you for helping the church. It's a pretty one too. I hope you were able to get a few honey locust sticks yourself. I've always wanted to try it out myself but never seem to find any.

That's just crazy talk - Or is it? Another item on my bucket list.

Way to go!! If it was me, I'd be the guy on the ground taking the pictures until I got use to that thing. The older I got the more I like my feet on the ground.

Back