Another newbie with a bunch of questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sequoia srt is fine ddrt, just has two more attatchment points front and back and a different belt clip which I preferred anyway.

Start on small stuff with basic knots, do it until you can tie those knots with your eyes closed and then move onto a better system, if you're up a tree and your fancy ascender/descender goes tits up or you cut your lifeline/damage a spliced eye then you really need to know how to get down with just a rope end, more so if your injured. A newbie under stress tying knots he doesn't really know is just asking for trouble.
Theres a lot of fancy gear for sale for arborists/gear junkies, most of it unnecessary, stick to the basics and buy stuff when you know you need it.

Go slow, learn, then speed up

Good luck mate.

Well I think it's sad when a true professional in his own industry asks other "professionals" in their industry how to do things right and get nothing but "hire someone" and pretty much blown off and I read in another post where a farmer (no offense) asks how to cut this apparently very dangerous tree down and everyone is offering advice. I don't need business advice and didn't ask for it. While I respect everyone's opinion that's just as it is. But like I said before I'm out of here! I don't need people telling me not to, ju

While you feel as if they are "blowing you off" if you really read that thread, "Hire someone who knows what they are doing" was told to him more then once as well. he was accused of being a jack leg brush ape, and then finally they did give him the advice he asked for. This field of work is way more dangerous than anything i have ever done in the past. When i started my little company i pretty much immersed myself in it. And i found a very good contract climber with an awesome rep that i have to pay very very well to not only do the jobs but train me as we go along. I been at this for a few months now and still know nothing compaired to a lot of the people on this site or even my contracted climber. I have been studying for my ISA test and still feel like a complete novice. All that said, im not saying dont start climbing or ad tree work to you business, nor are they, just saying if you look hard enough you will find someone willing to help you it may just save your life, business rep, an employee. Just remember the training and work you get out of them is only worth what you pay them. Good luck and climb safe may all your tie in points be secure, and let the dust fall like snow.

Well said, Wayne. To the OP, you arent the first landscaper to buy a pole pruner and decide to become a tree guy I know, because I was one. How little did I know back then. A jack of all trades is master of none. I know of a few, very few successful landscape/tree service companies, and their owners certainly aren't the climber. Too many hats. And honestly, the only reason you've shown interest in becoming an arborist is the money, and I think we can all agree that's not a good reason to get in this business. This is a multi year investment you're getting ready to make, if you're serious.

i pretty much immersed myself in it. All that said, im not saying dont start climbing or add tree work to you business, nor are they.
This is VERY well said.
No one meant to jump on you petzlpretzel, you asked what was the best avenue to go.. And we told you. Tree work is a lifestyle. Plain and simple. It's ALOT of training. And frankly, any of us telling you "oh hey, wind up a Blake's hitch, and don't fall" is a GREAT disservice to you, your company AND your customers. This IS professionals giving you PROFESSIONAL advice. You NEED to learn from someone on site. And like jollylogger said.. A week or two with your buddy.. Not going to cut it. No one wants to see your name in a fatality report because you thought you were "missing out on money".

Hire a ****ing contract climber.. Watch him like a hawk, learn from him, and progress at a reasonable pace while making your " middle man" money.. While you hone your skills to make the full profit.
I'm serious when I say good luck. You seem stubborn. If you're dead set.. No ones changing your mind.. But don't leave home without telling your loved ones how you feel about them.
Gods speed, climb safe.
-j

All I see being talked about is $, it's kinda disgusting. I have been a soldier, a welder, an electrical apprentice and now speaking for the trees. Not once, from any of those trades have I had a mentor or journeyman not share their methods or "trade secrets". We have to train others or it will all become lost knowledge. If your not willing to learn to climb the proper way, through training more than a weekend or so, then you don't need to be in a tree. And if you're only doing it to clear " 100,000", then in my opinion, you're in it for the wrong reason. Let me ask you a question, your customer wants 3 16" birch and 2 old spruce felled, says to chip everything, how would that make you feel?

This is what I would say. I started out as just an employee in a landscaping company and after a couple of years my boss wanted to get into tree work, with the exact same attitude as you, without any knowledge of the tree industry.....but he heard about Arbormaster classes and asked me if I wanted to take their basic chainsaw and climbing class and it was very helpful. It opened up a whole new world and changed how we looked at a tree job completely. That was a couple of years ago, I have now taken Arbormaster's The art and science of practical rigging class and that has expanded us even more and made us the best and safest Landscaping/Tree Care company in our area( better than Davey Tree in our area, like 5 accidents in a year). My point is, I can stand in the middle of this conversation and understand both sides. My boss is all about efficiency, time, and money....but I've had to calm him down and explain to him the need for safety in all situations, so I can sympathize with most of these comments that were given to you and I would say one thing: LISTEN. I recommend Arbormaster for their emphasis on safety during tree felling,climbing, and rigging. You cannot come into the tree industry with a landscapers mindset, they do not coexist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the difference between what the OP was talking about and your experience is that he is the boss. If he was going to have an employee become an arborist, take the training and do the work then that would make sense. But it appears he wants to run his landscaping business AND be a climber. As a business model, it doesn't make sense to me, unless he wants to be a climber so he can tell what the climber needs to do when he looks at a job.

I can see that difference but the same points apply to him still.

This is what I would say. I started out as just an employee in a landscaping company and after a couple of years my boss wanted to get into tree work, with the exact same attitude as you, without any knowledge of the tree industry.....but he heard about Arbormaster classes and asked me if I wanted to take their basic chainsaw and climbing class and it was very helpful. It opened up a whole new world and changed how we looked at a tree job completely. That was a couple of years ago, I have now taken Arbormaster's The art and science of practical rigging class and that has expanded us even more and made us the best and safest Landscaping/Tree Care company in our area( better than Davey Tree in our area, like 5 accidents in a year). My point is, I can stand in the middle of this conversation and understand both sides. My boss is all about efficiency, time, and money....but I've had to calm him down and explain to him the need for safety in all situations, so I can sympathize with most of these comments that were given to you and I would say one thing: LISTEN. I recommend Arbormaster for their emphasis on safety during tree felling,climbing, and rigging. You cannot come into the tree industry with a landscapers mindset, they do not coexist.

Well said,

It's pretty rare I jive with this guy, ain't that right JL?
But seriously... He's 110% right in everything he's said here. Take his advice.
Great idea. Plus you hiring a local climber and put him in your pocket gives you a chance to learn from him as well.it's really dangerous to just throw yourself in a tree with zero knowledge. I'm not being a smartass I'm just letting you know that it looks easy until you actually get up there. and that's before you even have a saw in your end and have to learn balance, knot tieing, excetera...there are so many unseen skills that are required for a climber that people just don't typically understand.

Hey man I got bunches of vids to help newer guys like you. Check out this link and it will take you to my channel and just look at through all the videos on my channel there is possibly some to help you achieve your goal for sure.

You have a great point but Im not busy enough yet in that area to hire on a specific guy. I've got everything we do now down to a science I just don't want to pass up any more work...I've seen the income potential. My goal is to be an all inclusive property management company, we're very good at mowing,landscaping, plowing and even painting. Window washing and trees are the missing link, plus I want to get in on my buddies emergency disaster team.
A "jack of all trades" is a master of none.

I don't understand how a company can have the time to mow, trim trees, paint, do odd jobs, etc (there are small companies in my area that do this too). I only do tree work, and I have more work then hours in a day...especially when you add in estimating and office work. If your not already busy doing what your doing....your doing something wrong.

If you really want to expand into tree work, then you need to hire someone to focus on that. Or hire someone to take over what you currently do, and you focus on learning it completely.

If you do something do it right, or don't bother.

"Kiss My Axe"
Associate degree in forestry from PSU Mont Alto
Certified Arborist
Owner/operator of Climb High Tree Service established in 2002
www.climbhightree.com
https://m.facebook.com/ClimbHighTreeService
https://www.youtube.com/user/climbhightree
https://www.youtube.com/user/2treekiller2

Hmmm Echo pole saw.....$600 x 3 = $1800 since last year. :wtf:

I bought a Bolens weed eater for $100 and it's made me $1800 since last month. On one job, I burnt the weed eater up, but it had a replacement warranty(3 months for commercial use),so I'm not really out of anything, if only the trimmer string had a replacement warranty.

Back