I'm looking at a MS391

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preston

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
and know nothing about this saw. I've been using an 034AV for 25 years now and would like a bit more power. What do I need to be on the lookout for with this saw?

do a compression check.pull it over to make sure that it pulls over smoothly.
OR
just install an 036 top end on your 034.install a .5mm base gasket modify the muffler and be happy.you'll be adding 5.5cc's

Check the throttle linkage, had a few problems with my ms 390. I muffler modded it and that really made a huge difference, especially when milling.

If you've been running an 034, I don't think you'll see much more power from a 391.
I'd go for the 036 top end swap
Preach it homie!:laugh:
Cording to the hp ratings the ms391 will be putting out .2hp more than the 036.that could easily be gained with the muffler mod and base gasket delete/thinner base gasket on the 036.

Where would I get a good top end off of an o36? And is it just a swap out? What would I do to my muffler to mod it?

Where would I get a good top end off of an o36? And is it just a swap out? What would I do to my muffler to mod it?
keep an eye out on ebay or put an ad in the trading post.if you can't find a good piston meteor makes a replacement for around $35.definative dave or duke theroff should have those.
for the 034 muffler just cut the front of the inner cage off.then for your outlet open it up as much as you can under the deflector.it will be a tad bit louder.
great saws to work on.

Latest posts

Back