the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simple answer to all the above to's and throw's gentlemen, simply buy a new 4x4 every 4 years and let someone else worry about whats about to fail or wear out.
My last 4x4 was an 02 rodeo 2.8 turbo duel cab, the thing just kept on going with just maintance costs and some new bits as they wore out, engine and drivetrain were original. I was so impressed with it I did not bother with replacing it at 4 years and so another 4/5 years or so went by until one morning it stopped in a bad way.
Some quick assessments were over fuelled pump which was correct in the fact it was opened up but 4 years before it blew and that thing carried drums of fuel and tools up and down Walcha mountain for perhaps 8 years every week.
I bought a new Tritan 2.5 which made the rodeo look like a POS in every way except the old rodeo was better suited to a workhorse.
I spent around 6.6 thousand on the 2.8 rebuild and 2 weeks after getting it going again its pump packed it in (2 trips on NRMA) in a few months.
Over a grand later she was back on the road so I offered it for sale and eventually sold it for $8000.00 cash after I agreed to replacing the windscreen and re gasing the AC.
The Triton goes like the clappers, very good on fuel but has been plagued with problems like injectors and sensors since new, its got 148 K on it now after 3 years and is now out of warranty, it will be sold off after Christmas. Mine was sold with the very impressive 5 + 5 year warranty, ha ha what the lying salesmen did not tell me is in the book somewhere it says 5+5or 130 thousand which ever comes 1st.

I have owned 2 rodeos new, both excellent 4by's
2hilux's new, 2.8 and new 3.0 when they arrived, the later 3.0 was sold after 1 year as it was not suitable for my uses, both utes were reliable and had good brakes and steering, the 2.8 went better than the 3.0.
My 1st 4x4 was a 83 model, 2nd hand 50th anniversary Nissan Navara with a 2.5 diesel, it had side steps, chrome sun razers nice upholstery and was a very nice looking 4x4.She run at 110 all day until it saw a hill, then the gearbox had to be used and had steering that would go out of whack very easy, it used oil every week, gearbox lasted about 1 year then got stuck in 3rd.
I payed too much for it and it cost money every time i looked at it, was not my best buy and I think I has 2 gearbox replacements in that thing.
I agree when it comes to Utes, but for my spray vehicles there hasn't been a realistic option for the last few years.
3.0l patrol is a joke, v8 cruiser has issues - they've sorted the engine but the rear track narrower than the front is a problem and wheel spacers aren't a great idea with the weight we carry, defender isn't really dependable enough electrically (and I really want a bigger engine), Iveco is too tall and has issues.
I'm going to keep repairing 6 cylinder cruisers until I have to buy something.

I agree when it comes to Utes, but for my spray vehicles there hasn't been a realistic option for the last few years.
3.0l patrol is a joke, v8 cruiser has issues - they've sorted the engine but the rear track narrower than the front is a problem and wheel spacers aren't a great idea with the weight we carry, defender isn't really dependable enough electrically (and I really want a bigger engine), Iveco is too tall and has issues.

I know a couple of guys who have permanent spray rigs on their crusers, both run the later 6 cylinder tray backs, maybe for the same reasons as you.
I agree, what do you buy, every new 4x4 seems to go but they all seem to have issues one way or another.
I was just in Port Macquarie an hour ago and the local Mitsi dealership has a run out triton with $29.990 painted down the side of it, (guessing it was new) that's cheaper than what I paid for mine 3 years back.
Not sure what I will get , thinking of a new 2 ton tipper like a mitsi or Isuzu as I have been asked a lot on firewood deliveries this winter.

I know a couple of guys who have permanent spray rigs on their crusers, both run the later 6 cylinder tray backs, maybe for the same reasons as you.
I agree, what do you buy, every new 4x4 seems to go but they all seem to have issues one way or another.
I was just in Port Macquarie an hour ago and the local Mitsi dealership has a run out triton with $29.990 painted down the side of it, (guessing it was new) that's cheaper than what I paid for mine 3 years back.
Not sure what I will get , thinking of a new 2 ton tipper like a mitsi or Isuzu as I have been asked a lot on firewood deliveries this winter.
We have one rig bigger than a cruiser - an Isuzu nps 300. Brilliant thing.
I'd buy any of their smaller trucks again in a heartbeat.

The Defender is ok electronically, it's a Ford engine in them these days, even the TD5 which was a Land Rover design was pretty bloody good electronically (and the ECU was by Lucas !) it's stupid build quality issues in some of them.

I've heard of far too many with rear diffs in the last five years not setup properly from the factory.
It's 2015, how hard is it get the CWP setup ?
The dealers end up getting them sorted, sometimes after fitting several new centres in succession, but it shouldn't be that way on a new commercial vehicle.

That's one thing about the Patrol, the driveline is damned near bulletproof.

Was in need for some new bars got two of each 20/25in had to order them being hardnose bars, one (25in) is already on the 661 probably the only 661 in the world running a hardnose bar haha...
006.JPG

Why do we use hardnose bars? endurance they are a fuss free hard working bar is one less thing to worry about is all ...(Enter exhibit A) less than month old bar and it pulls this crap!
Awesome I had to drive 40min one way to grab another saw! lol... yeah yeah I know silly me thinking I only had a few logs to buck and a few limbs to clean up on the last dump for the last load on a property we logged the Ironbark off..Yeah he was pissed (Boss man) didn't you bring another saw? oh that would be noooo didn't think I needed to LOL.. :dumb2::sweet:

007.JPG 008.JPG

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    301.4 KB · Views: 7
Today is my birthday (43) am surprised I made it this far haha :cheers:
Been busy cutting sleepers nothing new same old stuff really, few random pics I took today b4 the rain hits...
We have a new guy starting Monday as a docker/stacker, I luv seeing the look on a new guys face on there 1st day in the sawmill when it hits them holly **** people actually work this hard nowadays! sure does sort the men from the boys priceless! LOL :sweet:

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG 8.JPG

Been busy cutting sleepers nothing new same old stuff really, few random pics I took today b4 the rain hits...
We have a new guy starting Monday as a docker/stacker, I luv seeing the look on a new guys face on there 1st day in the sawmill when it hits them holly **** people actually work this hard nowadays! sure does sort the men from the boys priceless! LOL :sweet:

View attachment 443864 View attachment 443865 View attachment 443866 View attachment 443867 View attachment 443868 View attachment 443869 View attachment 443870 View attachment 443871
Awsome pics, yes I know the feeling with guys outside our industry, but that said there are plenty of hard jobs in different industries. My eldest works full time with me, opened up his eyes when he realised what we do every day, a good way to stay strong and healthy.

edit,,,, what's that bloody 90 doing sneaking into those pics, oh yes ''' looks like you own a Stihl 090'' good stuff for the 90 fans.

Happy Birthday mate :clap::dancing::happybanana::cheers::guitar::yes::barbecue::drinking:pls try to execute at least four of the emoticons this weekend....lol

43, spring chicken and in your prime, keep up the good work and thanks for the interesting posts.

Meant to ask how the 404 is going on the 661 ?

Love chainsaw pawn(Auto corrected), that shmik 090 looks very nice ! (Drool again :sweet:)

Was in need for some new bars got two of each 20/25in had to order them being hardnose bars, one (25in) is already on the 661 probably the only 661 in the world running a hardnose bar haha...
View attachment 443844

Why do we use hardnose bars? endurance they are a fuss free hard working bar is one less thing to worry about is all ...(Enter exhibit A) less than month old bar and it pulls this crap!
Awesome I had to drive 40min one way to grab another saw! lol... yeah yeah I know silly me thinking I only had a few logs to buck and a few limbs to clean up on the last dump for the last load on a property we logged the Ironbark off..Yeah he was pissed (Boss man) didn't you bring another saw? oh that would be noooo didn't think I needed to LOL.. :dumb2::sweet:

View attachment 443853 View attachment 443854
Nope got a 25" hard top on mine ATM ;)

View attachment 443844

View attachment 443853 View attachment 443854
Levaro boots? Never seen that on an ES nor an E have seen on the smaller mounts though.

Awsome pics, yes I know the feeling with guys outside our industry, but that said there are plenty of hard jobs in different industries. My eldest works full time with me, opened up his eyes when he realised what we do every day, a good way to stay strong and healthy.

edit,,,, what's that bloody 90 doing sneaking into those pics, oh yes ''' looks like you own a Stihl 090'' good stuff for the 90 fans.

Just keeping it chainsaw related was the 090 or a ms211 I had on the backseat of the old VK haha..
016.JPG

Happy birthday chap nice pictures,,,, looks a real easy soft office job you got there:rolleyes:;):)

I drove Toyota forklift just yesterday mates factory end of day a late delivery fronts up and i was only with a fork ticket oh i did full induction i read the plant manual filled in the SWM JSA equip log book signed the no fault ticked all the tick all boxes sheet befre i turned the key..

loaded some ammo with chap who has a lyman electronic powder scale i got scale envy now it does its job while your doing yours and the next batch is ready to pour... the 308 i made went nicely bang in all day shityy wet drizzle my hairs lost it bounce and gone all frizzy now..

R661, do you sell off the sleeper offcuts/trim, they make excellent rails for cattleyards.
Used them to build some yards in the late 80"s, think we called the offcuts slavins and spiked them onto
Red Box posts.
Some bushies were cutting them near Bairnsdale, onsite in the bush with a swing saw, snigging
with a Ford 5000 tractor.

Levaro boots? Never seen that on an ES nor an E have seen on the smaller mounts though.

We are pretty good at finding the limits on most things haha... Not a bad thing at the end of the day as we weed the crap out and are only left with tools and machinery that are almost bulletproof! your mileage may vary...:sweet:
Take the u booty HD2 filter for example it can't handle a good tapping out like the old filters and seems to let just as much fine sawdust through as the old filter :crazy: around here anyways?...But I will say Stihl have got there **** together with the filter on the 661 nothing seems to get past that sucker! :numberone:....

f.JPG

View attachment 443864 View attachment 443865 View attachment 443866 View attachment 443867 View attachment 443868 View attachment 443869 View attachment 443870 View attachment 443871

Happy Birthday ol' mate!! :D

Nice pics also Chris, I'm guessing that is a Grey saw bench/mill? how many horse powers

Bwahahahahahahahaha
24e5bfbb3838a5b9d774fbe5e9c9c20a_zpsc1f1zvdk.jpg

Back