Thinking of buying a new wood stove for next winter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just putting some wood in the stove and got to thinking. When I am home and able to put wood in when ever I want I put in a couple of split pieces about every 1.5 -2 hours. The two I just put in were a maybe a 11" round split in half I really don't know how long it will last but when there is room o toss in another piece or two. My wood is 22" long by the way. But you should know this particular wood is at least 2 years old very very dry, too dry really but I am home with it so I will try to get it used up. I burn some of this during the day time but at night I burn wood I cut last winter, so it is about exactly 1 year old. It lasts much longer of course

Read this thread: http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...n-the-new-woodstock-ideal-steel-stove.247424/

I think there are many good stoves being built by different manufacturers and I don't want to talk down to any one particular brand. They all have their place in their respective price range for the customer. I'm no expert when it comes to wood stoves, just someone who heats our home with wood and have for a long time.

There are obviously many things that have to go into the designing and manufacturing of a stove to help it perform well. But yes, if I had to narrow it down to ONE thing that sets the Blaze King apart it would be the air control. But with the King, there's no denying a 4.32 cf firebox helps also. That is a lot of fuel. All the more reason the stove must have great air control since having all that fuel is pointless if you can't control it.

I wish someone would test the BK and IS back to back in a controlled study. That would be an interesting read.

Well I just bought the new stove Blaze King Princess with Blower and delivery to my hearth $3316.70. I told them I am not ready for it yet maybe mid October maybe before but I want to give myself time to get the Old Mill 25 moved over to my sons home.
I just bought the same. Waiting for it to arrive. I got the parlor model

i got one of these in my run down shed they work good in the house and they can burn coal or wood.
they weight around 1000,0000,0000 lbs
IMG_4292.jpg

Well I just bought the new stove Blaze King Princess with Blower and delivery to my hearth $3316.70. I told them I am not ready for it yet maybe mid October maybe before but I want to give myself time to get the Old Mill 25 moved over to my sons home.

Congrats to you and Woody. You guys are absolutely going to love that stove. Can't wait to read your testimonials when you get it fired up.

The company rep was due in the store later in the day but I had to get moving so I did not see him. My wood was cut last December and cut split and stacked in my shed in July. I am in hopes we have good results with the stove I wanted to remove any issues I could. That is the reason for the early firewood inside, we usually don't put in wood till September.

I was just on the phone with the stove shop told them some measurements they needed for the double wall stove pipe. The guy was telling me that the stoves with the cat's in them need really dry wood. I told him my wood was cut to tree length last December and I sawed it up , split it, (very fine I might add) and put it in my wood shed all in and done by July 10th.
The guy said he thinks I will be fine but just felt he should inform me where I have never had a catalyst stove before. He said he is pretty sure I will be fine but may have to run it hotter than normal. He also said the cat stoves like wood with 15% or less moisture.
If anyone reading this has a catalytic converter in their stove please chime in and give me your opinion on moisture.

when you check for moisture, make sure you split some pieces and check the middle. It has to be a fresh split to get an accurate reading

Well I bought a new toy today, a moisture meter I just check about 15 pcs of second split wood and it ranges from 0.5 % to 15% I guess I am pretty happy with that. The average seemed to be 11 % hope the new BK likes it !

Hello,
We have the biggest Napoleon stove that they make.....forget the model.....maybe a 1900. It does a real good job and we run it hot.....we have a big house and need all the heat we can get. I originally said I needed a stove the size of a VW, but I couldn't find one !!!! :)

Henry and Wanda

Latest posts

Back