Central Boiler Classic Edge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was at the MN state fair this past weekend and stopped by the CB dealer. He is my own local dealer so I make it a point to visit his display every year. I was surprised to find a new, or perhaps just new to me, EPA compliant gasification boiler that was actually priced decently. He told me they just got in their first shipment. The design is simplified, which reduces production cost and the savings then passed on to the consumer. My CB5036 is relatively new, six years, but it was good to see the pricing for the EPA models returning to something reasonable. Anybody got one yet....?

http://www.centralboiler.com/products/classic-edge/

Very likely that is true. Same goes for the car you drive, the appliances in your house, etc. The Classic series can operate relatively "clean" if the operator chooses to feed it good seasoned wood, but far too many choose not to. The new gasifiers are not going to burn junk wood. If Central would offer buy back or trade in, I would got to the new style, but I would not expect that to make much business sense for them . Could always sell mine if I felt real ambitious.

My wife and I drove up Thursday and man I have to hand it to Minnesota that is some state fair. (Parking Sucks!!) I stopped and had a very nice talk with the Central Boiler dealer. The lower priced EPA model seems like a well built burner at a very good price. My Nephew has been interested in an OWB for some time now so I brought him home some info on it and he couldn't wait to read up on it. Maybe he will get one and I will be able to see first hand how well it works.

Glad you were able to make it to our little gathering. I always get there early, real early, like 6AM. No waiting to park, no waiting to enter, and no crowds on the streets. Usually out of there by noon when the crowd gets too much for me.

It does appear to be a well built unit. I spent a fair bit of time crawling over it but may just have to visit the dealer local to take another look, specifically at the valves? on the front for the different venting scenarios

Keeping the heat exchangers clean might prove to be a challenge. Looks like it relies on a chain type system to periodically clean the tubes - then if you need to do more than that (almost guaranteed with a boiler that spends any time with the damper closed or fan shut off, even a gassifier), you have to remove a plate from inside the firebox at the back to get at them thru the firebox.

Keeping the heat exchangers clean might prove to be a challenge. Looks like it relies on a chain type system to periodically clean the tubes - then if you need to do more than that (almost guaranteed with a boiler that spends any time with the damper closed or fan shut off, even a gassifier), you have to remove a plate from inside the firebox at the back to get at them thru the firebox.
I thought the same thing on my e3200. The chain system? Only thing past the burner is fine ash dust. It burns so hot no creosote remains. A good burn for me is 1200 to 1800 degrees secondary temp. A must is good wood. The new model fire box is a little small but should heat a small house fine.

Getting a quote for a 350/550 now. May have one by the end of the month if the boss approves. Im onyl heating 1700 sq ft with basement but i have stupid high ceilings in a very open concept. I think i might push a 350 to hard. Any one else have one yet or any other opinions on em? I read the manual on em and seem pretty simple. I agree with the sam tip cleaning those tubes should be nothing. Proper wood will create fine dust.. hell i bet an air compressor would blast all that out easy after knocjing the chains around

Back