Let's see your hearths.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliniford

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking for ideas. Needing to redo my hearth as it is falling apart. I used large ceramic floor tiles with a cent board base. The tiles have cracked and overall just looks kinda crappy. Don't want to do the tiles again. Thinking maybe a poured concrete pad or slate? I don't know.....

The brick in my hearth are some of the brick that came out of the house when we moved it. It's an early 1800's of late 1700's log house. I moved it from middle Tenn to where we are. If I knew how to get a pic from my phone to the site I'd show you. Now the fire brick were the new modern type. But everything else came with the house.

Ours is still in progress. The insert was installed 2 weeks ago...

3AAEDBA9-1CA6-49CD-9351-209FF4C543E6_zpspuvqukmw.jpg

I'm still working on matching paint for the grill above the insert, and the mantle and side trim. The beam I bought is to checked and its already almost split itself in half, so I need to re-work that.

The surround and hearth are polished concrete. The previous homeowner covered up the original brick with black granite tiles that looked like crap. I spent about 1 day trying to bring back the brick before I gave up and called a concrete countertop company.

Ours is still in progress. The insert was installed 2 weeks ago...

3AAEDBA9-1CA6-49CD-9351-209FF4C543E6_zpspuvqukmw.jpg

I'm still working on matching paint for the grill above the insert, and the mantle and side trim. The beam I bought is to checked and its already almost split itself in half, so I need to re-work that.

The surround and hearth are polished concrete. The previous homeowner covered up the original brick with black granite tiles that looked like crap. I spent about 1 day trying to bring back the brick before I gave up and called a concrete countertop company.
those 100 year + barn beams will do that. more than likely white oak. looks great. and if you run out of firewood you can burn it.:crazy2:

Reclaimed bricks. I'm ordering a new fireplace cover this week so we can start burning in here again.

View attachment 473922
Looks good. I especially like the log storage area top the left. They work. While the fire burns, the next batch of logs (often snow covered) dries out. Occasionally, Minnesota gets some snow--like today, even though the weather forecasters never want to estimate how much. I'm supposed to get about a foot of powder and practically no melting all week.

Thank you. My dad had the idea when he built the place. My grandpa did the mantle.

There is a forced air fan in that grey box, it really puts out the heat once the bricks heat up.
I noticed the grille there btwn the fireplace and storage door...I figured that's what it was. Probably run ya outta the room if ran too long. Thermostatic controlled to kick blower fan on or just by switch?

Back