Stihl Contra Info Sharing Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There has been some talk back about the carburators used on the Contra/Lightning. I just found this info:

I only have HL 74a, 112a, 112c and 112d on Contras in my collection. Were other models of carbs used??

Carburettor No,   Venturi Dia,   Bore Dia,   Release date,   Customer

HL-74A,         3/4”,       13/16”,     06/12/59,      Stihl

HL-112A,        3/4",       13/16”,     02/13/61,      Stihl

HL-112B,        3/4",       13/16”,     11/24/61,      Stihl

HL-112C,        11/16”,      7/8”,      11/20/61,      Stihl

HL-112D,        11/16”,      7/8”,      09/28/65,      Stihl

Does anyone happen to know if it is possible to bolt on the "Chinese" 090 parts onto a contra? Specifically, one of the electronic ignition assemblies that you see on eBay for under $20. I have a Pretty incomplete contra that sat outside a long time. After a year of oiling and messing with it occasionally, it freed up, and turns over good. The piston and cylinder looks good, and ignition is next to look at. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone happen to know if it is possible to bolt on the "Chinese" 090 parts onto a contra? Specifically, one of the electronic ignition assemblies

Can't say I know anything about the Chinese parts you mentioned, though having a quick look at the Contra and 090 IPLs the flywheel part numbers are different.
090. # 1106 400 1202.
Contra.# 1106 400 1201.
If you would like some pics of both flywheels let me know.
How about posting some pics of this well weathered old saw?

Thus far only on the 070 model. This is the first 090, very interesting.

I believe I read somewhere that the very early models still used the contra decal.
Did you get this saw?

I know a lot of you guys that follow this thread is intrested in the history of Stihl and its saws. Many of you also have the 07 or 07S in your collection.
A couple of days ago, i got my hands on a very special saw, a 07 prototype or testsaw.
I will not post it in this thread, as its not a Contra/Lightning. But alot of you might find it interesting...

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/stihl-07-07s-prototype.285754/#post-5532992

Great thread!
I just bought 4 090AV's plus 1 lightning from an old sawmiller. I will sell the 090's to fund restoring the Lightning,as i love the way it looks.
would put up a photo,but i cant figure out how yet

Great thread!
I just bought 4 090AV's plus 1 lightning from an old sawmiller. I will sell the 090's to fund restoring the Lightning,as i love the way it looks.

Ah, now that you've arrived here your doomed!;).. It all starts with a chance finding of one of these old beauties and then you'll spend the rest of your days collecting.:yes:

there i was,happily collecting vintage guitars and banjos- clean,not too loud, easily repaired,light weight, and i get sucked into the dark oily void of vintage chainsaws
loud,heavy,noisy and dirty.
oh well, may as well dive straight in.......

Great thread!
I'd keep at least one of the 090s. If you're just getting started, I think you'll regret it later if you still them all.

So, I have been wanting a Contra to add to my collection for a while. I left home early one day this week on a long drive to get one and came home with 11 saws. I need help determining what cylinders are on the two Lightnings, how do I tell without measuring if it is the S cylinder?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 49
So, I have been wanting a Contra to add to my collection for a while. I left home early one day this week on a long drive to get one and came home with 11 saws. I need help determining what cylinders are on the two Lightnings, how do I tell without measuring if it is the S cylinder?

Take a picture from the right hand side of the cylinder, then i can tell you. But i see one of the Lightning is from the first year of production, thats very nice! I have 4 of those. You can see that on the oiler, its missing the manual pump, that first came on the saw after a year.
Great catch!!

Does anyone happen to know if it is possible to bolt on the "Chinese" 090 parts onto a contra? Specifically, one of the electronic ignition assemblies that you see on eBay for under $20. I have a Pretty incomplete contra that sat outside a long time. After a year of oiling and messing with it occasionally, it freed up, and turns over good. The piston and cylinder looks good, and ignition is next to look at. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Likely. But it's a crap shoot with the Chinese part.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Here is the 2nd Contra, doesn't appear to have an S cylinder either. Appears that all the governor parts are missing, this saw runs really well. Could this possibly be the original plug as well? Rubber on handle appears to be green on this saw. Obviously not original bar.

106 cc. Saw looks to be a low hour unit!.. Do you think it's original or a re-paint?... The starter / recoil housing is from a 070.
Also note the date on your bar, March 1966 (3.66).

Looks like you've found some interesting saw, keep the pics coming!

I am pretty sure none of the saws I got in this group were repainted. They are all 1 owner saws, I purchased from original owners grandson. Every saw I got in this deal was complete with most of them being runners. I don't see any signs of repainting on any of the saws.

Back