What's the smallest saw you've ever used for milling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brmorgan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Because I think I might have set a record today. I used my tiny 26cc Homelite XL-2 to square up some Juniper logs in the shop tonight (in this thread). It actually cut really well for its size, I was running about 1/2" to 1"/sec through 5" - 8" diameter pieces.

Stihl 180c , only freehand , the 180c has that quick chain tensioner system , so I cant mount it on my mill , I am actually thinking of getting another 180 but with both studs so I can mount it to my mill , this saw is plenty big enough for edging most boards . Cheers MM

I don't know what size a McCulloch Pro-Mac 55 is, but back in the "70's" i used mine a LOT, to square up chunks of "birch"... Then i'd take the squares into my shop, and use my shop bandsaw, to make boards into lumber, to build small furniture itoms out of. (all free hand)

That "Pro-Mac 55" was one heck of a saw, back then!

Rob

26cc? Wow, I didn't even know that saws came that small. Is that the smallest anybody made? If (when) I get a mini mill, I was thinking of using my 009 (36.6 cc)for edging. I couldn't pass it up... I traded two DVD players I found on the curb for it, and all I did was clean the air filter, and replace the oil pump diaphragm (about $4 I think) Looks funny sitting next to the 066...

Heh, I didn't even have to buy my XL-2... I just came downstairs one morning last year and the 090 had given birth (or took a dump maybe :rolleyes:):

attachment.php

Way back in the 60s I believe there were a bunch of saws under various brand names built using tiny model aircraft engines in the 1 - 1.5 cubic inch range. The smallest I know of today is this carving/pruning saw made by Zenoah, whoever that is, at 18cc: http://www.zenoah.net/products_chai...saw&Class2=&AreaCode=FC&productid=206&Appo=on

One of my 360s came from a guy that used it on a homebuilt mill. He built a 2 story house, all lumber cut with it. He was running something around a 32 or 34" bar on it. I traded him for a 660 (and $$).

An Echo 305. I think it's about 30 cc's. Used it to make a bench for the Boy Scouts on a camp out. The other patrols were rolling logs and stumps up to the fire ring. I had recently found my old Hadden lumber maker, and the little Echo was on the truck. The boys found a 2X4 and the rest is history. We had the baddest bench in town. Split a little Locust log in half and notched two stump cuts for the bench seat. That was at least ten years ago and the Scouts still have the bench, Joe.

Back