Ash log values or what would you pay for them?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwoller

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I helped a neighbor split up some firewood and instead of taking cash from him I'd rather jut take logs to mill. I want to make flooring for my house. What are ash logs worth in the Midwest these days? This would otherwise be made into firewood if not milled by me. Are they just worth what their value is in firewood?

Yep firewood price is what I would go on. Hard to say it's the right quality of logs and stuff for it to be flooring grade stuff. You could call some mills or log yards and see what they're paying for ash logs for each grade.

I haven't paid for a log yet. There is C-List and many other ways to obtain free logs....although some of those ways involves felling trees and piling brush for landowners(not the easiest work, but most here don't mind a little sweat).

I will say this though.....
Firewood is priced by how much labor it costs to buck and split it, lumber is priced by how much it cost to mill it. So a log is a 'rough' piece of either item and should never be valued at the pricing of a completed item(hope that makes sense....only had half a cup of coffee).

Scott (nickel on the dollar) B

Makes total sence but convincing the log owner that their logs aren't worth much of anything seems to be a hard thing to do. I have an add on c-list too but by the time people contact me the wood is usually bucked up.

Find a price sheet from a local log buyer. Then figure it to be about the lowest grade logs and go from there. Firewood in some places pays more than saw logs

Try getting ahold of a tree service....they typically have to dump loads and pay a certain price per yard. If you have a way to move logs(I have par buckled them onto trailers if I want them bad enough), and by reducing the amount of waste they have to move....win-win!

My ad asks "Do you have unwanted trees?" I get calls all the time from people that don't know what a chainsaw looks like. I have a bunch of rules as to what I will and won't take.....stick to your rules ;)

Scott (don't be afraid to walk away too) B

Mills probably aren't paying much at all for ash then.

Your probably right although when I was looking for finished flooring the Ash was just a bit cheaper then the Oak. I guess that just reaffirms that the money is in the labor.

Your probably right although when I was looking for finished flooring the Ash was just a bit cheaper then the Oak. I guess that just reaffirms that the money is in the labor.

yes, id like to ad that without hardly even trying i have acquired more fallen trees than i can handle currently. Black walnut, red oak, tons of Ash, Silver maple, Etc. I just keep on the lookout for fallen trees and most homeowners are delighted when i say ill take it for free. Also im trying too hook up with a "friend of a friend" who owns a small tree service. He say he almost always ends up paying to get rid good logs bc he doesn't have time to do anything with the logs. My problem is actually rthat he has way too much for me to handle right now.

all that to say is I hope to rarely, if ever, pay for lumber that i will be milling.

Back