026 wide open issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rquick

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 026 that runs and idles fine but when it's held wide open in runs
Strong for twenty to thirty seconds then looses power for maybe 10 second then gains power again it will do this over and over any help would be appreciated.

Hmm, possible fuel supply issue. Check fuel filter and spark arrester screen. Make sure they're not restricted. Sometimes the spring in the air filter spring that makes the choke work becomes wore and will run erratically. Check to make sure the choke is working fine.

I had a replacement air filter that they must have gone crazy with the sprayed glue gumming up all the flocking.

+1 on fuel filter. May as well change the fuel line while you're at it. Small nearly undetectable cracking in the fuel line can cause all manner of troubles. Had one once that the fuel line was softened and stretched thin from ethanol and/or fuel additives. Suction at full throttle must have collapsed the fuel line.

Wouldn't hurt to reset carb to factory settings then retune once things are straightened out. Is it an older one with H/L/LA?

Ignition troubles can do some squirrely things at high RPM as the coil weakens. I avoid harsh solvent near the coil not knowing how they could affect the insulation. Never hurts to throw a known good plug into it. Had some with carbon scoring and cracked porcelain act funny.

Start with the easy stuff first and the rest will shake itself out.

Take the muffler cover off, and look at the piston. Keep running it like that, and you could start melting your piston.

Go through the fuel system correctly first off, remove and test all components, and correctly rebuild the carb, it
should be done routinely anyway. When rebuilding the carb, make sure you remove the needle/lever/spring
and hold the carb body up to a light and look through the passage under the needle, it is very possibly partially
blocked, blow it out, and hold it up to a light again, and visually verify that the passage is clear.

Ok what's the best source for parts like the carb kits and fuel lines and air filters? And I did notice that the carb is different than the one on my 026 pro

Look on the carb for it's model numbers, get the other parts at a Stihl dealer. Bring the saw with you to make sure you get the correct fuel line.

And get the carb where? And I had it apart but how do you get to the fuel line in between the two pieces of the saw

Any mower shop would have the carb kit, or get it in a day or so. Installing the fuel line is easier with the carb removed, and hemostats or needle nose pliers to pull it through.

Anyone have aNy places to get the carb kit I haven't had any luck here in Kansas City?

The other one would be the "impulse" line, use hemostats with the starter removed.
A Walbro k10-wat is the most popular carb kit out there, any mower shop "should" have a bunch on hand.

Get a few pair of hemostats, they will be one of your most used chainsaw tools

hemo.jpg

Thank you guys I got the carb kit today and a new fuel
Line and impulse line so to do
Impulse you say start from pull starter side? And after the carb rebuild where a good spot to start with the three adjustment screws?

And this is my first time rebuilding one so any tips are welcome thank you again guys.

Ok all the new parts are on and saw won't start looks like fuel coming out exhaust what do I think I did wrong maybe the wrong piece on the bottom side of carb?

My 26 likes a bit more pop off pressure. Also, on the pump side it should be gasket then diaphragm. If that's correct hold the throttle open and pull, it will fire.

Latest posts

Back