bar oil walmart

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i get my bar oil at the saw dealer 5.29 per gallon w/tax it has tack and red dye in it he has winter and summer grades.

Until recently, I had never looked at the manual closely enough to know what Echo recommended. Here is what they say:

----------------------------------------------------
CHAIN LUBRICANT:
- Use Echo bar and chain oil.
- When Echo bar and chain oil is not available, use motor oil, etc.
- Use bar and chain oil of the following grades:
- SAE 30 in the summer.
- SAE 10 in the winter.
--------------------------------------------------

As others have said, makes me question whether those "tactifiers" etc. are really necessary. I tend to think it is more marketing than anything else. Manufacturers want us to think there is good reason to pay 3x more for a product that, in reality, does the same thing as good old 30W motor oil.

Edit: I don't skimp on the important things like non Eth fuel, good quality 2 stroke mix, etc. I don't care for Walmart all that much but for me, their Super Tech B&C oil is just fine.

I have used supertech for years and never had an issue. I also have used Itasca and I can't tell the differance between it and Supertech. It also cost as much as Stihl oil, which is much thicker and tackier.

Until recently, I had never looked at the manual closely enough to know what Echo recommended. Here is what they say:

----------------------------------------------------
CHAIN LUBRICANT:
- Use Echo bar and chain oil.
- When Echo bar and chain oil is not available, use motor oil, etc.
- Use bar and chain oil of the following grades:
- SAE 30 in the summer.
- SAE 10 in the winter.
--------------------------------------------------

Edit: I don't skimp on the important things like non Eth fuel, good quality 2 stroke mix, etc.

My carburetor problems have ended since I've switched over to 100% gasoline in all my small engines. I've never seen ten weight bar oil for sale around here. When the temps go well below freezing in TN, I mix tranny fluid, used tractor hydraulic oil etc. in my bar oil to thin it out. Works for me.

My carburetor problems have ended since I've switched over to 100% gasoline in all my small engines. I've never seen ten weight bar oil for sale around here. When the temps go well below freezing in TN, I mix tranny fluid, used tractor hydraulic oil etc. in my bar oil to thin it out. Works for me.
In Tennessee regular bar oil works just fine. I use regular till the temps get into the teens. Lower temps than that I use winter bar oil or cut standard bar oil with a little diesel fuel or kerosene.

Save a chain brand is about the thinnest I've used. I use it in the aux oiler for the bar nose when milling. Works good in winter as well. Usually $6 a gallon

I mainly just work on saws now but when I earned a living running a saw I can guarantee u i never put a second of thought into what kind of bars oil i used, I was to busy thinking about getting through the day carrying the heavy pile of junk along with trying not to get crushed and killed. Then and now I buy it by the case for 5$ a gallon and maybe a bar and chain would last longer with good oil but I doubt anybody cutting timber can keep up with how much one bar did over another, I've run the best bars and the cheapest and worn all of them out and I bet it wasn't the oils fault. I've said it on here before, it's the tree's fault.

recent check in Walmart (I hate that place! but sometimes they have what the local stores don't) 1 gallon of canola oil was $7.28, very fair against their SuperTech brand or the Poulan brand bar oil at $7.97 each.
Canola oil is much better in your saw than in your stomach! I know I shouldn't say that being Canadian but got to call a spade a spade. It's truly Franenoil!

Back