It's getting to that time! Who's lit?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And so it begins, slave to the stove...seems like it goes later each spring and earlier every fall! What global warming!

checked the yahoo extended forecast for the next ten day's and no hot days to be seen or felt! pulled out the 3 window air conditioners for this year so the time is "NOW".... fire in the hole, wood stacked to the top of the kindling box till time to bring in the 1/6th cord wood holder...... to warm during the day, but as soon as the sun dips "IT'S TIME TO LITE".......

i lit my propane heater this morning to knock the chill out the floor felt like ice when i woke up, it was only 57 in the house.

Just lit the Earth Stove 100 Series last night for the first real fire. I just installed it in this house. We heated with an old insert in last house for years. This free standimg wood stove does a really good job compared to the insert. Smoked the house up bad for a bit. I was prepared with fans and windows open. We went a winter without wood heat last year and I missed it dearly.

I need to start documenting that too. Although I can probably look at past posts here too. I try to make it to November but it rarely happens. I've been able to hold out like my initial post said because I have relatively cheap electric and the heat pump works well in the shoulder seasons...and I'm sick of burning by April. But man I miss that roaring fire! Got some nice fiskars splitting in with the kids and sitting around a small stick/ scrap wood fire to end the evening to keep the urge intact. Supposed to get highs in the 70s most of this week. So I will hang on a lil longer I think!

"They" are sayin' mid/upper-70s, maybe even a low 80s or two all this week and into early next week for us... no fire yet, might be Halloween before I light a fire.
It was a bit chilly round here yesterday, but not quite chilly enough to start converting firewood into ash.

Fired up my brand new Harman TL300 last night. This is a warranty replacement stove for the original unit purchased 7 years ago. The firebox area around the top opening started to crack, last year around January. I needed to keep running the stove however, and the cracks just got bigger, went past the gasket area and started to bypass the air intake system. So, a few months of pestering my local Harman dealer, texting some pictures of the cracks, etc. and Harman stood by their life-time firebox guarantee and sent a new stove. Had to pay $300 for the install however.

Ran the stove during the day yesterday with the windows open to burn off the new paint. All was well by the time Sunday Night Football started.

I lit up the furnace Friday. I was digging through the dumpster looking for 1x wood for stickers on some oak I am slabbing up. While sorting I filled up with 2x wood pieces under 3 ft. Then I got home and decided to light it up.

I also remembered why I don't like burning scrap lumber. Not enough coals for it to get back going efficiently and lots of smoke! I don't think the neighbors appreciated me yesterday. From now on only a little scrap wood at a time.

I will probably let it die down this week and change the door hoses that I forgot to do while it is cooled down.

I have an unlimited supply of scrap 2x4's & 2x6's and some 2x12's in the dumpster. It was half full Friday and I saw it today and it is up to the top. I should bring more home and use it on cold days that I am home or as a boost when it needs a quick hot fire.dumpster wood.JPG wood in truck.JPG

Started the CB5036 Saturday about 10:00 am. 41 degrees with a 30mph winds made for a chilly house. Lit the boiler, fired the taco circulation pump, set the t/stat in the living room and enjoyed the comforts of wood heat!

It was cold enough here Saturday night (low 40's) to have the first fire of the season. Started it up around 8 pm, and burned all night. It got a little toasty around 11, so I opened up a few windows. Looking at the forecast, it looks like it will be a couple weeks before we get another going.

Latest posts

Back