Recommendations for a new fireplace install

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBrown

more saws than I need
Reaction score
We are thinking about putting in a new fireplace in our upstairs living room. We have a quadra-fire 5700 in the basement that solely heats the house currently. We want a smaller built in fireplace upstairs, install next summer. Are the inserts only for use in existing masonary fireplaces? This would be a new install. We want something with similar view and operation as our 5700. Thanks

Do you already have an existing flue where you want to the insert? You can install a double or triple wall pipe if you don't hve a flue or they can be hooked up to an existing flue. I assume you already have some type of chimney or flue and that why you chose an insert. If it's an old stone chimney I would consider a stainless liner to connect the insert to. That might be good advice even if you have a cinder block and clay liner chimney. Other factors like if the chummey is exposed to the exterior on the outside of the house or if it behind siding makes a difference.

Do you already have an existing flue where you want to the insert? You can install a double or triple wall pipe if you don't hve a flue or they can be hooked up to an existing flue. I assume you already have some type of chimney or flue and that why you chose an insert. If it's an old stone chimney I would consider a stainless liner to connect the insert to. That might be good advice even if you have a cinder block and clay liner chimney. Other factors like if the chummey is exposed to the exterior on the outside of the house or if it behind siding makes a difference.
No existing chimney. Will be class A through the roof. Most of the fireplaces I see are inserts. Quadra-fire only makes the 7100 as a regular fireplace and that's bigger than we need.

No existing chimney. Will be class A through the roof. Most of the fireplaces I see are inserts. Quadra-fire only makes the 7100 as a regular fireplace and that's bigger than we need.
What size stove are you looking for? I generally see manufactures with more free standing stoves than I do inserts. It sounds like you need a free standing stove for sure. Straight up through the roof is the best configuration with these new stoves. Depending what your budget is I would suggest you look at Blaze King, Woodstock and Hearth Stone stoves. I would not consider an insert in a free standing application.

We have a free standing quadra-fire downstairs. In the living room upstairs we want a fireplace built in look.

I'd throw a jotul Oslo in that spot and call it a day

Are the inserts only for use in existing masonary fireplaces? ... Thanks
We have a free standing quadra-fire downstairs. In the living room upstairs we want a fireplace built in look.

Now I understand your question better.
No, inserts do not have to be used with masonry fireplaces only. However, you need to read the installation manual for the product which will tell you what is acceptable to install them in. The Blaze King said masonry or "Factory Built Fireplace". I am unsure how you would build a fireplace that meets the specs of "Factory Built".

Read here. http://www.blazeking.com/PDF/manuals/en/wood/OM-BRII90I E V1.03.pdf

Some of the inserts have fireboxes that actually kinda sit on the hearth and theres lots of surface area for heat transfer......

I have a factory made zero clearance fireplace into which I put an Earth Stove insert. The ES was made for that type of fireplace. Stove manufacturers that make inserts will many times make inserts for both masonary and prefab fireplaces.

You are a lot better off with a free standing wood stove. There are some really nice products out there. I'm replacing my 50 year old fireplace insert with a Lopi Freedom insert. The insert itself is a pretty good deal, where you get stung is buying the chimney liner and door and decorative wrap and extended hearth pad and installation and permit and inspection. I was surprised the door is not part of the insert.

But I get a free moisture meter. :)

It sounds like you want a zero clearance fireplace not a wood stove. Or perhaps something like one of the Avalon flush inserts.

An 'insert' must be installed in a fireplace. Most any masonry fireplace. Some can be installed in a prefab zero clearance fireplace, if said fireplace is certified by the fireplace manufacturer for an insert. Some fireplaces are certified for specified inserts only.

Zero clearance fireplaces are made to install in a framed opening. Most are certified with a specific class A chimney system(s). There are lots of other high efficiency options besides the 7100.

Some inserts can be had with a 'fireplace enclosure' that essentially makes them a zero clearance fireplace. Can't name any off the top of my head.

Latest posts

Back