3 Stihls down in a week.... need help tuning/troubleshooting Stihl 044s and 066

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big end bearing on the 066. Just starting to give up

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Well I found a pair of OE pistons and rings for the 044s. Going to get them fixed first. Still trying to find an OE coil new, seems that's near impossible. Are there any specific tools I will need to rebuild. Looks like a specific ring clamp and flywheel puller are needed. Anything else?

On the bottom end where can I find OE components, its baileys or ebay and all the ebay stuff is non OE, way cheaper and like shitier chinese steel. I want to take it all apart and replace everything with OE components that should be replaced.

Appreciate all the help again.

Stihl sells a very reasonable flywheel puller for like 10 bucks I use an Italian made kit I purchased off ebay that fits about every 2 stroke piston its red has the piece that holds the crank and also has a piston stop I think it was about 16 bucks

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

9523 003 4275 Clutch Side Bering for an 044 correct?
9503 003 0346 Flywheel side bearing correct?
9640 003 1972 Oil seal
9640 951 1972 Oil seal 2
1128 029 0500 Gasket

Shown Here

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 7
Ok, ordered all OEM- Crank bearings, seal, plugs, rubber, bolts, pistons, filters, caps. Still trying to find a new OE ignition.

Are the aftermarket ones even worth a ****? If not where do you fellow get a 0000-400-1300 OE Coil

Well I got a load of parts in to start going on the two 044s, I still have yet to find a new OE coil. Are the aftermarket coils any good? Is there one proven better than the other?

This should help with the 066 ignitions.

Make sure the cylinder bolts are not loose and causing your air leak. I aways check mine after a few tanks of fuel after having the cylinder off.

Attachments

• 064 and 066 ignitions.pdf
    303.3 KB · Views: 12
This should help with the 066 ignitions.

Make sure the cylinder bolts are not loose and causing your air leak. I aways check mine after a few tanks of fuel after having the cylinder off.

Thank you for that. Much appreciated and that clears up quite a bit of my questions I had about the flywheel ignition combination.. I take it I can use anyone off the polymer flywheel series then?

Regarding the current ignition I'm searching for is 0000-400-1300 is for the 044, has it been updated to a newer model and I'm not aware of? Are the aftermarket ones even any good??? Apparently that's my only option it seems besides buying a used one on ebay which I'd rather not do.

All 066 red lights had a metal flywheel, and a poly flywheel cannot be installed on them.

Then I have some frankenstein 066 with a red light ignition with a wire not hooked up and a Poly flywheel....

If you are the original owner, coils has a lifetime warranty.
I did not know that however our family is the original owner/s, these were my fathers saws, and he passed back in 99, so trying to prove these are my saws with some sort of receipt or whatever to Stihl over the phone, likely would take 30-60 days, and probably will result where I am at today.

Found a MS660 for 500...almost bit on it, paid that for this bum 066

I did not know that however our family is the original owner/s, these were my fathers saws, and he passed back in 99, so trying to prove these are my saws with some sort of receipt or whatever to Stihl over the phone, likely would take 30-60 days, and probably will result where I am at today.

Found a MS660 for 500...almost bit on it, paid that for this bum 066
The dealer should be able to look up the name of the purchaser by serial# I would think.

I think you have a red light tank and carb box, that is the extent of your red light, the coil and flywheel are from a newer saw so I would not worry about that. I would be concerned on why the old jug was removed .

Well its been a little while. I did not get around to rebuilding these as quick as I thought. QWas able to borrow a couple loaners till the season slows down/ I have all the parts now. My only issue is once trying to split the cases, I realized I needed the proper tools. I can find a stihl case splitter on the net for around 150$. I have yet to find the flywheel side tool for pressing the bearings back onto the crank.... So are there any dealers on this site that are willing to sell them as a pair? If not its emery cloth to the crank, bearings in a freezer and cases in the stove....

We have about 10 saws that have always been serviced by shops. After this undertaking and investment in tools I will likely be doing them from here on out.

I made my case splitting tool in just a couple minutes, I also have never used any tools to reassemble just a little heat and a little cold then u can put it together with your hands.

Latest posts

Back