High Compression??????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SquareFile

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Can saws with high compression rev high?

Can they be competitive at gtg's / cookie cutting?

And still be used for a farwood getter?

Seriously though, all this is readily available with search and some fun reading. You'll learn what you need to know for running and modding your saws in your searches.Not belittling your question by telling you to search. Searching and reading is going to be the best thing for you to learn. That way you don't go burning up your saws

And also has alot to do with squish. The tighter the squish, the higher the compression but shorter the life of saw if too close.

I own a few saws that are over 220, 2 of them are over 230 and I haven't cn any difference in rpm. My 064/066 tunes nicely over 14000 and has 230lb.

Seriously though, all this is readily available with search and some fun reading. You'll learn what you need to know for running and modding your saws in your searches.Not belittling your question by telling you to search. Searching and reading is going to be the best thing for you to learn. That way you don't go burning up your saws

I've read that high compression saws don't rev high and don't cut fast until larger wood with longer bar & chains are involved. Just curious if that's what's expected.

Rpm is limited by a lot of things but I'd say what you think talking about is the hight of the exhaust port. The lower it is u will make a little more compression but it will slow the saw down, the higher it is u lose compression and gain rpm.

Rpm is limited by a lot of things but I'd say what you think talking about is the hight of the exhaust port. The lower it is u will make a little more compression but it will slow the saw down, the higher it is u lose compression and gain rpm.

So your saying by lowering the cylinder you increase the compression but sacrifice rpm or speed?

:popcorn2: :drinkingcoffee:

I'll just chill with you..

You haven't seen any of @SquareFile posts before?I'm guessing no..

It all depends on what your looking to get from a saw. I ran a 066 today that the exhaust was at 102 and it had no problems turning rpm. It's also over 230lb and pretty sporty.

Back