Should I go with a .050 or .063 bar for a 261?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gorman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Mine came with a .063 bar but I'm not sure if there's a point. Help me out here. I use it for my guys to limb up stuff by the chipper.

I would assume it came with a .325 chain? Stihl does not make a .050 chain in .325 guage. If you are talking 3/8 chain a would go with a .050 on a 261

My ported ms261 is very hard on 050 drive tangs compared to 063. Oiling is better, bar rail clogging is less and heat build up is less with 063. But my saw is cutting 10-12k under load and our wood is not renouned for being soft. All saws sold in oz that do not run picco are delivered standard with 063, l thought l knew better and ran 050 3/8 bars but l did not! Stihl rarely sells a saw that is not set up with the best chain and bar combo for conditions of where its sold.

New to me thanks, do they make bar in .325 x .050?
For a Stihl Mid (3003) mount. Oregon does.

My ported ms261 is very hard on 050 drive tangs compared to 063. Oiling is better, bar rail clogging is less and heat build up is less with 063. But my saw is cutting 10-12k under load and our wood is not renouned for being soft. All saws sold in oz that do not run picco are delivered standard with 063, l thought l knew better and ran 050 3/8 bars but l did not! Stihl rarely sells a saw that is not set up with the best chain and bar combo for conditions of where its sold.

More oil delivered to a 16-20" bar?

What is puzzling to me about Stihl is most of the 3003 Stihl branded bars in 3/8 are 050, yet on smaller saws that are set up for 325, 063 is the norm? Seems more like marketing, than performance generated.

Case and point, I was looking at a barely used 36" Stihl bar For Sale locally, and it was 3/8 050.

I use the 3/8 .050 bar on my stock 261. I think the .325 may cut a little quicker, but I find the 3/8 will cut just fine if I do not lean on it. It lowers the rpms but I think that just keeps it in the power band....maybe I'm thinking about that wrong though. And I do not have to change files and grinder wheels to grind the cutters.

I did notice the Stihl site did not list a 3/8 pitch chain for the 261.

If the 050 tangs get a pounding and change shape they stop pushing oil as well unless you keep a close eye on them and correct it with a file. FWIW l have a ES36"3/8 050 bar and it outright sucks in hardwood. Softer species would be different so 050 may not pose any issues for the op what so ever.

Back