Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got this in recently ,would make a good firewood truck ,has factory racks even ,has dana 60 front ,456 gears ,24 volt system even ,so you can jump start a tank if the need arises ,not rusty like the eastern trucks get View attachment 456451
I had an old 79 gmc 4×4 long wheel base. It was baby blue. That thing rode like a tank! Kinda miss that truck. Kid you not, that 1/2 ton had such stiff suspension I pulled a gooseneck with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

Some real nice beefy ones there!

of the first 5 log trucks loads from a tree service, the smallest oak was 24".. most of them were 28-34". there is a 562 with a 22" and 372 with a 28" in the pics.

ALL OF IT WAS RED OAK!!!!!!!!!! WoooHooo.

got one load of 56" dead ash this week, and another of white/pin/black oak mix that was "normal" sized

Lots of Ivy on that tree. I cut a few like that last year.

Not poison ivy... english ivy.. harmless to your skin. I catch poison ivy in the wind, and am well versed in poison ivy, lol

@tomtrees58 , after seeing all your MASSIVE wood piles I don't doubt for a minute your ability to tell what wood is what, I know how to tell the difference from red and white oak by there leaves........how do you identify Black Oak????

that's black oak

No its not, the leaves were not eastern black oak, the bark was not eastern black oak and the center is not yellow and black like black oak, it is red oak.

or maybe none of that matters if a certified arborist said it was red oak.. black oak is very similar to red oak and in the red oak family, but the center is more yellow like poplar with a black core on black oak and it doesn't have the pungent smell of red oak.

But, there are three different oaks in those pictures, the first 5 lot truck loads from the tree service were red oak. then there was some smaller white oak limbs and 24" trunks, then the last load had some black oak rounds in it.

No its not, the leaves were not eastern black oak, the bark was not eastern black oak and the center is not yellow and black like black oak, it is red oak.

or maybe none of that matters if a certified arborist said it was red oak.. black oak is very similar to red oak and in the red oak family, but the center is more yellow like poplar with a black core on black oak and it doesn't have the pungent smell of red oak.

But, there are three different oaks in those pictures, the first 5 lot truck loads from the tree service were red oak. then there was some smaller white oak limbs and 24" trunks, then the last load had some black oak rounds in it.

Fresh Red oak smells like a big ole fresh pile of dog mess to me!

Thanks

I don't want start or get in the middle of a pissing match, Im just curious how do you tell what a black oak from the others. I know how red oak leaves have points and white oaks are rounded, how do you guys know black oak?????

Black oaks, Red oak, Pin oak, scarlet oak and a few others are in the red oak family.

the bark on red oak is smoother than black oak. the leaves on the red an black oak both have pointers or bristles on the end. the red oaks will have more uniform and deeper lobes on the leaves. The acorns produced on black oaks with have the cap that is deep and covers 2/3-3/4 of the acorn itself, where as the red oak will have a shallow acorn "cap", almost flat. The bark on a black oak is the easiest to tell, it is more broken and deeper ridges than red oak, and is a blackish color, if you chip the bark it will be a bright yellow underneath. most of the sap wood in black oak carries this yellowish tint, and the heartwood will have a dark almost black color. Red oak is darker and has a red tint to the sapwood, and the heartwood would be very red.

https://www.extension.iastate.edu/forestry/iowa_trees/trees/black_oak.html

11rtzte.jpg
black oak my friend I am and arborist 40 years now

Latest posts

Back