Stihl has stolen my source of cheap bar oil ‼

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mill's Fleet Farm is $8.79 right now. I used a half quart of the Menards (Cam2 brand) this weekend. For cheaper stuff I really like it, it's nice and "clingy"
Now at Menards once again at $5 a gallon locally. They do this several times a year. Most that I have seen is made in Wisconsin. It works. I usually buy 5 gallons and when any of my buddies runs out, I offer a gallon to them for a couple of Bud Lights.

I'm keeping an eye on Rural King they are up to something. They still got all the Echo stuff but everything else is disappearing.

Our local rural king farm store is now a Stihl dealer, there's already a good Stihl dealer in same town been there 30 years or so. Any farm and home improvement store here sells off brand bar oil for 4.99-5.99 it's always on sale at one of them it seems. Rural king still sells off brand oil in addition to all the Stihl stuff. Just bought two gallons there Friday actually.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I just got 2 gallons of Cam2 at Menards. I now have 4 gallons sitting in the garage - 3 all weather and 1 summer heavy weight tall timber. Should be good for well over a year.

Is it on sale at all menards?
$4.99 in all the stores around here this week.
I just checked the Bemidji, Grand Forks and International Falls stores on line for ya'... all have it priced $4.99.
So yeah... I'd say all Menards.

I was just over in Mason City today... never thought about it, but I would'a grabbed another gallon or two if I was thinkin'.

I just checked the Bemidji, Grand Forks and International Falls stores on line for ya'... all have it priced $4.99.

I was just over in Mason City today... never thought about it, but I would'a grabbed another gallon or two if I was thinkin'.
I bought a measly three gallons this week for $5 apiece. The bill came to $16 with sales tax. This bar oil works and from what I can read, it's distributed from Wisconsin. I have never had any trouble with it.

Our local rural king farm store is now a Stihl dealer, there's already a good Stihl dealer in same town been there 30 years or so. Any farm and home improvement store here sells off brand bar oil for 4.99-5.99 it's always on sale at one of them it seems. Rural king still sells off brand oil in addition to all the Stihl stuff. Just bought two gallons there Friday actually.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
For a Husqvarna enthusiast such as myself that doesn't bode well.

Used to get my oil at a local auto parts store here. Can't remember the name on the jug but it was red and super tacky. It was great to mix 50-50 with used hydro oil so I didn't mind paying $11 a gallon. Tackiest stuff I had ever seen straight from the jug, made great all season oil when cut down. Anyway the placed stopped selling it. I got 6 gallons of Poulin stuff from Walmart for $5 a gallon this summer. Stuff is so thin straight from the jug. I ended up putting it all in a gas can 3 gallons at a time and mixing in a couple cans of stp oil treatment to give it some tacky properties. Still isn't like the old stuff cut 50-50 though. The chainsaw mill bar is showing a lot of wear with this crap.

Just picked up 6 gallons from the Virginia store. Should tide me over for a while.

It's good stuff.
The Cam2 website and literature claims it's made with virgin mineral oil and formulated for use on any link chain, such as motorcycles, farm equipment, industrial applications and whatnot. I've used bar and chain oil on such drive chains for years, some works better than others... some does a good job of penetrating the rollers and some don't. I've notice the stuff with better "penetrating" characteristics does a better job keeping the bar and chain on a saw cleaner... tends to clean the sap, gunk and crap off, or at least prevent it from building up. Some of it resists "wash-off" better than others also... my son's little ATV runs through mud and mud puddles whenever they're available :rolleyes: so it's been a good "test" for chain oil.

Unfortunately I can't say anything about the Cam2, I ain't used any yet... I'm still using up other stuff.
I can tell ya' that the stuff Menards had prior (FVP) was darn good stuff... but that don't mean anything to the Cam2.
However... if the Cam2 is an upgrade... well, that would make it better than darn good stuff :D

Unfortunately I can't say anything about the Cam2, I ain't used any yet... I'm still using up other stuff.
I can tell ya' that the stuff Menards had prior (FVP) was darn good stuff... but that don't mean anything to the Cam2.
However... if the Cam2 is an upgrade... well, that would make it better than darn good stuff :D
Interestingly they still have FVP in other oils such as 2 stroke premix but the bar oil is only Cam2

Back