Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve, are you splitting everything on the ground or using a splitting block? If on the ground, how is the edge holding up?

What I've been telling people here in the store is that whether the Husky or the Fiskars, you are working with a sharper "more finished" edge than the typical 6-8 pound maul. So having that edge hit a block vs repeatedly hitting the ground seems like it would be better for the tool.

Steve, are you splitting everything on the ground or using a splitting block? If on the ground, how is the edge holding up?

What I've been telling people here in the store is that whether the Husky or the Fiskars, you are working with a sharper "more finished" edge than the typical 6-8 pound maul. So having that edge hit a block vs repeatedly hitting the ground seems like it would be better for the tool.

Everything larger than 12" in diameter stays on the ground. The smaller stuff I will pick up.

I'm very good and not putting the edge into the ground. It's taken years to figure it out how to be effective swinging an axe without destroying the edge putting it in the ground.

Yesterday I worked a a bunch of outside projects. I laid my most used axes and mauls on a piece of plywood to make a template to hang them all up. When in the midst of working on the tractor and the neighbor stopping by I totally forgot about them until this morning... It rained all night...

Anyways after really thinking about it, the Husqvarna S2800 has about 6.5-7 cord under its belt this year. A cord of ash this spring and a cord of black walnut. Then all the oak we've been splitting non stop for the last three weeks. Which is almost 7 cord, but some done with the splitter (2ish) and I've used the fiskars and the Stihl some. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I'm about firewood-ed out, but free oak is free oak and I'll continue to cut and split until my source dries up. Anyways. This edge has not been dressed or touched in anyway since I've purchased it.

Not sure which Steve you are referring to. I'm splitting on the ground and the edge is holding up much better than the Fiskars with similar use. Except for one doozie that hit a big rock when I first started using it and it blew through more quickly than I expected.

Not sure which Steve you are referring to. I'm splitting on the ground and the edge is holding up much better than the Fiskars with similar use. Except for one doozie that hit a big rock when I first started using it and it blew through more quickly than I expected.

Yeah, it was you. Forgot about the multiple Steve thing!

Other thing is that "the ground" can mean different things in different places. Like dirt vs rocks. Lot of rocks around here, so if you hit the ground very often, you're going to be finding them.

Yeah, it was you. Forgot about the multiple Steve thing!

Other thing is that "the ground" can mean different things in different places. Like dirt vs rocks. Lot of rocks around here, so if you hit the ground very often, you're going to be finding them.
I agree.

My hunting cabin is on a hill that eventually drops into a lake and has ultra fine sand that goes into clay. You could dig trenches with the thing and not dull it. OTOH my family cabin is a total rock farm. You can't hit the ground without hitting rocks.

Everything larger than 12" in diameter stays on the ground. The smaller stuff I will pick up.

I'm about firewood-ed out, but free oak is free oak and I'll continue to cut and split until my source dries up. Anyways. .

That's about the same for me. Plus it's the smaller ones that I'm more likey to blast all the way through.

I've got the same mindset on grabbing wood too. Never know when sources might get scarce, so get it while it's there. :)

IMG_20151107_175528.jpg

One shot with the Stihl .
A little tag team work .

IMG_20151107_175628.jpg

2 very productive wood splitters .

IMG_20151107_174344.jpg

Both work very well , no vibrations come through the handle even when splitting b with bare hands .
The Stihl handle is bigger than the Fiskars , I still think it has a bit over the Fiskars .

So I was at my local dealer and was able to handle the new orange handled husqvarna splitting axe. I was amazed at how short the handle really was. I didn't purchase it because of that.

The Estwing used to be the classic canoe camping axe. The unbreakable handle was a big feature, though, I have watched guys try to whittle a replacement handle for a conventional axe out of a tree limb on canoe trips.

The Estwing used to be the classic canoe camping axe. The unbreakable handle was a big feature, though, I have watched guys try to whittle a replacement handle for a conventional axe out of a tree limb on canoe trips.

Philbert
Hey Philbert. That Adler guy thinks just like you lol.

Goodbye spammer.

This guy signed up yesterday from India which is one of our main spam sources. When I saw him post in two of the regular threads I knew he had gone rogue.

Latest posts

Back