MS461 or MS461R ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup I guess your right. I've been selling Stihl in northern Virginia for over 20 years now. To date I've had one customer request a full wrap handle saw. That was back in 07. He wanted a heated handle full wrap 441. He's been the only one that's ever requested a full wrap saw. Guess we'll have 2 in Virginia now,LOL

Technically he's not asking for a full wrap, Stihl R versions are only 3/4 versions so he'd be the first in his class!...go for it @Glockem45

What comes with the wrap handle version is not the same for every saw. Some do not have HO oilers.

Also, I think the only 661 with the vented dogs is the wrap version, but they do look & work nice on my 044!

I was thinking that too Mike, I was on the understanding that the HO oiler was on the 441r and 461r versions over the std versions (might not be correct on that though), as well as the skeletonized dogs (which are really cool) on the 661R.

Naa not really. The guy that bought that full wrap 441 wanted those heated handles more than anything else. Said his fingers get cold and he like the idea of a warm handle. I had to order it from my distributor, Mid-Atlantic Stihl in NC. They had to get it shipped in from a distributor out west. Just no demand for heated handles or full wraps on the east coast. If there was you can rest assured we'd have them on the shelves.
No 3/4 wraps or heated handles here in middle America either. No demand. Only wrap saws we've ever sold was a 461 and 880 to a local municipality and they were special order.

@Glockem45 I can feel your pain. I live in an area in MT where if you want most anything you have to order it. Despite being the third largest city here, it doesn't matter if its sporting goods, clothing, tools etc. We are just in a poor location, sure we have big box stores and small dealers but just the way it goes.

Advice from a newly CAD bitten member, if you want a R version get it off the get go otherwise you'll end up just ordering another one or ordering parts. Wait you'll end up doing it anyhow.

The R versions are great in IMO whether your in steep terrain or not if for nothing else than the BA factor they have.

The dogs, HO oiler and handle are all great features, don't let the naysayers discourage you from getting what you are looking for. Doesn't matter if you are the only the second guy in 20 years to want one in VA...get and feel even cooler because you are the only second one in VA to get one. And if you really want to throw them for a loop tell them you want ES Light bar with it too! I know the dealers look at me cross eyed here when I ask for those...Good luck and there are plenty of folks one here that are willing to help out find the saw you want, heck I'd send one from MT but that might get it out of the price range really quickly since it's full retail here or nothing from what I have found around me.

Not to argue with you but yes it does matter if he's only the 2nd guy in Virginia though I'm fairly sure there are more. Dealers aren't going to stock a $1100.00 plus saw and wait years to sell it. If he wants one he can come on up to Leesburg in the morning and I'll be happy to get him one in. ES light bars don't sell worth a hoot either though some may likem most could care less. All this talk about dealers don't know anything well come throw this ole cat for loop, I'll enjoy it...

@THALL10326 , no direction was meant towards you directly as you clearly knew what the R version is. I was merely trying to encourage the OP that if he wants the R version to find someone whom knows what he was looking for and order one up for him.

Also in no way was trying to imply that they need to stock them, but knowing what the MFG offers is a bonus to the discerning customer as it does not build confidence in a dealer if you go in and ask for an offering and they haven't clue as to what you are talking about.

Again on the ES light bars it was merely a poke towards those dealers whom would think he is of his rocker for even asking. I've gone in to two dealers here in MT and they had to ask me twice what I was looking for, much the same they did not know what an R version was...so maybe that helps my post a bit.

Sounds like a similar demographic we are in @THALL10326 can find a rescue version on the shelf but a 661 one is nowhere to be found, or a big Husqvarna for that mater either.

@THALL10326 , no direction was meant towards you directly as you clearly knew what the R version is. I was merely trying to encourage the OP that if he wants the R version to find someone whom knows what he was looking for and order one up for him.

Also in no way was trying to imply that they need to stock them, but knowing what the MFG offers is a bonus to the discerning customer as it does not build confidence in a dealer if you go in and ask for an offering and they haven't clue as to what you are talking about.

Again on the ES light bars it was merely a poke towards those dealers whom would think he is of his rocker for even asking. I've gone in to two dealers here in MT and they had to ask me twice what I was looking for, much the same they did not know what an R version was...so maybe that helps my post a bit.

I'm with ya, I wasn't fussing at you. The thing I guess I noticed was the poster using a 290 and then wanting this 461 with the special handle, I'm thinking what, my goodness your using a 290 now, a regular handle 461 would be like dying and going to heaven. I'd love to sell him whatever he wants but what he's wanting is simply hard to get on the east coast for lack of demand. I'm positive he would be more than pleased with the 461 I got sitting on the shelf right now that I most certainly believe has his name engraved in under the air filter cover,LOL

Ha! Mike that's good stuff right there! :clap: It's actually pretty fun now that I am learning more when I go in and talk to them. There is one guy in town that I have found (I'm sure there are more) that knows his stuff, but he is still a walk the line guy when it comes to mods, no mufflers, no porting, timing advancing, setting squish etc... So that's why I'm here learning....

Good stuff guys!

You should have seen the looks I got when I asked for square file chain. Neither of the dealers near hear had ever even heard of it before.

You guys are ruff on your dealers. I work 30 miles outside of DC and every once in awhile some wood chuck will come in and say ya got any square ground chain, I go nope. Why not I'm asked, I go what for, he'll say it cuts faster, I'll say yeah but it sells a lot slower, don't fool it, wants some RS chain I got tons of that, he says ok, never fails..

Ahh, I think like I said, you go into the dealer and expect them to know what you are at least asking for, having it is one thing, but not knowing what it is another thing. I fully understand not stocking items that don't sell makes perfect sense but at least know what it is.

It'd be like going into the nearest Ford dealer and asking them if they can order 2016 Shelby GT350R or the Dodge dealer and wanting a Hellcat and they ask you "what are you looking for again?"

It's just frustrating when they don't know the product they sell. I know on occasion there are circumstances, but square ground, light bars, R versions are pretty common offerings and I would think it'd be common knowledge, maybe I am off base with that, but I figure if a guy who just started collecting saws knows the stuff surely the dealer should.

Ha! Mike that's good stuff right there! :clap: It's actually pretty fun now that I am learning more when I go in and talk to them. There is one guy in town that I have found (I'm sure there are more) that knows his stuff, but he is still a walk the line guy when it comes to mods, no mufflers, no porting, timing advancing, setting squish etc... So that's why I'm here learning....

Good stuff guys!
Ted let me tell you a good one, you will get a kick out of this. Man calls me up and tells me he has this world famous chainsaw craving buddy, he's world famous mind ya. He proceeds to ask me if he can get a MSE250 electric chainsaw and put a 10 inch carving bar on it. My first reply was are you crazy. He says no, that's what his carving buddy wants. I go well that's a awful powerful saw to be carving with and I doubt Stihl would recommend a electric saw for constant carving anyway, much less one that big with a 10 inch bar. He goes why you say that, my buddy thinks it would be awesome. I go well tell you what, take this number and call Stihl and talk to them, I've never heard of anyone wanting a set up like that. He calls Stihl, they tell him no no, not recommended. He calls me back complaining all you guys do is say no. I said you got it from the manufacturer, what do you want me to do about it. He says well my buddy knows more about carving than you guys. I go no doubt, he's a carver, I'm not. He says well you should meet him, he is world famous, do you want to meet him. I'm thinking all I want to do is get off the phone so I had to say it. I said you know what if your buddy is so world famous how come I've never heard of him, he's not that famous now is he. He goes ok ok I guess you don't care whether you meet him or not. I said your right. That got him off the phone finally. Sometimes its best to just letem go,LOL

Ted let me tell you a good one, you will get a kick out of this. Man calls me up and tells me he has this world famous chainsaw craving buddy, he's world famous mind ya. He proceeds to ask me if he can get a MSE250 electric chainsaw and put a 10 inch carving bar on it. My first reply was are you crazy. He says no, that's what his carving buddy wants. I go well that's a awful powerful saw to be carving with and I doubt Stihl would recommend a electric saw for constant carving anyway, much less one that big with a 10 inch bar. He goes why you say that, my buddy thinks it would be awesome. I go well tell you what, take this number and call Stihl and talk to them, I've never heard of anyone wanting a set up like that. He calls Stihl, they tell him no no, not recommended. He calls me back complaining all you guys do is say no. I said you got it from the manufacturer, what do you want me to do about it. He says well my buddy knows more about carving than you guys. I go no doubt, he's a carver, I'm not. He says well you should meet him, he is world famous, do you want to meet him. I'm thinking all I want to do is get off the phone so I had to say it. I said you know what if your buddy is so world famous how come I've never heard of him, he's not that famous now is he. He goes ok ok I guess you don't care whether you meet him or not. I said your right. That got him off the phone finally. Sometimes its best to just letem go,LOL

Hey it's good to see ya postin again! I know a world famous carver but he doesn't run Stihls!:D

He doesn't but I do know of some that do.

I had another carver that bought 15 of them to sell to other carvers but I was never paid.:mad:

He doesn't but I do know of some that do.

I had another carver that bought 15 of them to sell to other carvers but I was never paid.:mad:

Whattttttttttttttt and you didn't get paid, now that's not good. Hey wait a minute, this guy that wants the 461 with the handle, his screen name is Glockem45. Maybe you two can work out a deal so you can get paid after all. I bought me a Glock not long ago. One ugly pistol, always said I'd never own one but figured I try one just for giggles. Gotta tell ya they do shoot good and they never jam. I got the 10mm and so far I've sent 3 ground hogs to heaven with it. Caughtem out in my garden robbing me, stealing my veggies. Glocks are pretty good..

Back