Have you ever broke a saw chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i broke one i had modified in 10 year dead locust with a 361 the rivet broke .i take the dogs down to 45 thousandths instead of 25 or 30

Years ago Stihl 056 Magnum II when I first started using it the dealer that sold it to me swore it only needed a 50 Ga chain they would stretch then break. The 58 Ga stretched before the chain was half worn. Mostly big cottonwood for pallet lumber 24 and 28" bars . I was bucking logs in the yard a lot of the time. The big slow torquers are different than the fast new ones and I still run My Mag II saws and they are 63 Ga for a reason.

I've broken 2 loops of brand new 16" chain over the years , the first was a Carlton , the second was a Stihl , got the Stihl replaced for free but it cost me a fuel tank housing when a cutter whipped around and poked it's way through the fuel tank .
The chain catcher did it's job stopping the chain from being a hazard .
Forestryworks was kind enough to send me a spare tank housing so I still owe him a ton of thanks because that saw still cuts wood to keep my house warm :)

I have broke a couple; all due to metal in the wood.

As to chain gauges, it is my understanding that Stihl chain is the same through the gauges just the drive portion in the groove has been milled to fit. In other words, supposively there is no strength difference between the three gauges of Stihl chains.

Ron

About a dozen chains. I finally figured out why, some helperr would get the chain pinched and rock and twist the hell out of the chain weakening it then it would fly apart very soon.
Never a dozen chains but that is exactly what caused it when I loaned out my saw. Engine was not even driving the chain when it happened. How could it? The chain was pinched tight. I seldom loan out a saw these days.

I have broke a couple; all due to metal in the wood.

As to chain gauges, it is my understanding that Stihl chain is the same through the gauges just the drive portion in the groove has been milled to fit. In other words, supposively there is no strength difference between the three gauges of Stihl chains.

Ron
I run Oregon now. I will make notice if the opportunity rises on the ga of chain and strength issue. . Prior to buying Mag II saws with the 3/8 chain I had always used 404 on 051 saws in the 70's or 3/8 on the 041 saws

Chain can snap while cutting in cold condition. Snow and frost cools a chain and can cause breakage. The coolest derail that I ever had, was when the chain broke the 8T sproket exploded and the chain bent the inside dog at the 45 degree angle. That's how fast my 372 is.

Some of the Oregon technical materials list the maximum saw power and bar length recommendations for specific chains. E.g. 'For use on saws up to 'xx' cc displacement and bars up to 'yy' inches in length'

You can physically mount them on a larger powerhead, and on a longer bar, but the chain 'chassis' (tie straps, rivets, etc.) are thinner, lighter components which are not designed to hold up to heavier use.

I am especially thinking of guys who use 3/8 low profile chain for milling.

I am sure that STIHL and other chain manufacturers also have these guidelines - they are just a little harder to find.

Philbert

I'm not the 48 yrs old virgin on this billboard baby. But I am promised 77 virgins in the after life
*Thinks everyone remaining goes out and breaks their first chain tomorrow*
Broke over 100 chains. It used to be not if but then. Back in the thinning
days. Five off the rakers and the max $hit hook right out of the box

Once. It was an almost new (no sharpenings)Baileys chain. They replaced it no questions asked. I commented to a friend "ive never had a chain jump off" then I did it twice the same wk.
I fixed that chain. It was a the rear rivet drive area of a tooth that broke. I remember this story because I stopped at one of the local Stihl dealers and asked for a chain tooth and their comment was that they couldnt sell me just a tooth " because they didn't know what I was going to use it for". We can sell you a new chain. I was upset to say the least. Never went back and they went under a few yrs later.

That is pretty commical. "Ummm, I was going to make a necklace out of it. WTF do you think I need one link for!!!!????"
LMAO
But he asked for a tooth. (I'm still laughing)
Kind of reminded me of greater Vancouver in about 2000 to present. Trying to get a pack of matches from gas stations as an adult. They were
no longer aloud to give customers matches as they could be used for Arson purposes but could sell you a lighter WTF

Lol..not very helpful bunch to say the least..seems it brings a smile to his face today still that they went belly up. We all have those weird grudges it seems.

You may or may not find this strange but I started in the pro end in '89 and I cant recall been talked down to in any kind of retail store of any kind. In saw shops (not C&L Supply or Walkers) I have had it happen so many times as a matter of fact It just happends in Victoria opon arival on the island for a months contract falling. Asking the price on mix at the stihl shop; he insisted on telling me mix persentages with a straight face. I was waiting for the joke to come. I almost fell over.
...got another story i'll tell In a bit. This ones right on topic.
The guy behind the counter telling the guy in the feild how it works.
This chain didn't just break, about 4 links shot out of it.

I've thrown chains off the bar , which is scary enough , but I never broke a chain

Back