Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know yet. I dropped it off 30 minutes before close last night. I won't know until probably tomorrow or tonight at best. I authorized them to pull it and tear into to find the problem. The rest of the bill will come after the diagnostic. I'm hoping just clutches, torque convertor, and valve body and that the hard parts are still within spec. I'd like to put a triple disc in but they won't do it.

Unfortunately no, it has 113xxx miles on it. The dealership said that they will try and work with GM to help get some parts paid because it's only 2 years old. But I'm expecting it to come out of pocket.

I really don't understand why you can't get manual transmissions on new trucks.

I really don't understand why you can't get manual transmissions on new trucks.
Because almost nobody orders them. I prefer them too, but most want to drive on the interstate while updating their Facebook on their new I-phone 9 doing 90 weaving across all lanes or 47 in the left lane. :rolleyes:

Don't know yet. I dropped it off 30 minutes before close last night. I won't know until probably tomorrow or tonight at best. I authorized them to pull it and tear into to find the problem. The rest of the bill will come after the diagnostic. I'm hoping just clutches, torque convertor, and valve body and that the hard parts are still within spec. I'd like to put a triple disc in but they won't do it.

Good luck. I hope it isnt too painful

Don't they have a limited number with manuals? I know the Dodge Cummins come with a manual option, or at least they used to.

Because they sell very few of them. Most people don't know how to drive a manual let alone want a manual. My wife drives a manual and it is fun but when its traffic time, I am glad I have my truck.

I have heard these newer diesels have more torque than the drivetrains were designed to handle. So if you put a torque converter in between the engine and the driveshaft it buffers the delivery a bit to make things last longer. The guys who hop up/mess with the computer tuning seem to wreck drivetrain parts with regularity.

There was a time not long ago,MY2000 and earlier,before GM put the allison behind the Duramax,when you had to buy a handshaker behind your big block or diesel IF you wanted to tow heavy or haul alot and not have transmisson problems due to overheating and not enough clutch capacity or gear ratios...The GM Allison Ford 5R110 ,and 6R140,and Dodge 68RFE,and Aisin 6speed auto all changed that in pickups. These transmissions can handle all the abuses a diesel or big block can throw at them and hold up better than a manual setup in most cases. The only time these transmissions fail is when the owners neglect them or throw tuners on the engines,and grossly exceed the rated torque capacity of them. Dodge still makes the 6speed manual,but it comes with a reduced torque and horsepower rating to save the clucth..

Because they sell very few of them. Most people don't know how to drive a manual let alone want a manual. My wife drives a manual and it is fun but when its traffic time, I am glad I have my truck.

Yep, my Cadi gets a bit tiring in DC traffic during rush hour. Good thing I don't drive there anymore. My preference is a manual Cummins

There was a time not long ago,MY2000 and earlier,before GM put the allison behind the Duramax,when you had to buy a handshaker behind your big block or diesel IF you wanted to tow heavy or haul alot and not have transmisson problems due to overheating and not enough clutch capacity or gear ratios...The GM Allison Ford 5R110 ,and 6R140,and Dodge 68RFE,and Aisin 6speed auto all changed that in pickups. These transmissions can handle all the abuses a diesel or big block can throw at them and hold up better than a manual setup in most cases. The only time these transmissions fail is when the owners neglect them or throw tuners on the engines,and grossly exceed the rated torque capacity of them. Dodge still makes the 6speed manual,but it comes with a reduced torque and horsepower rating to save the clucth..

Damn you're right. Change my mind, I want the Aisin transmission Dodge Cummins.

I'm not sure of previous maintenance because it was purchased used. My guess is this truck was used to haul trailers. It had higher miles when I bought it.

Even with the Trans I got a good enough deal on the truck that I'm not upset. I'm still 20k-30k ahead of buying the truck new.

Since I bought a tractor and a new trailer I wish I would have sprung for a duramax. The 6.0 does everything I want it to, however the dmax would do it better.

zogger - that is tough to even think about. Someone stealing another mans saws... its just not right.
It sucked the big one. I wasn't getting my SS checks then and it represented about 1/4 years gross pay for me. I had some runners stored elsewhere, but they got all my good ones. A kind AS member sold me my 371 at his cost to get me back with a decent big saw, that sure helped. Since then I just haunt CL and once a year or so I buy out the customer no shows and no fixers at my local dealers. Last batch I got four runners so far from the pile, best being a husky 359 and an older model 44 which needs a big more tweaking to be 100%, but still runs ok. Hotrods, both of them.

Latest posts

Back