Is Stihl 361 or Dolmar 7310 better for firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know if I had both but had to sell one it would be a very hard decision. The add may look something like this.
One screaming unit for sale. Takes nothing to get this thing going. Once it sets in it is almost impossible to shut it down. It is used and not as pretty as it once was , has some milage but still gets the job done. She even cooks once in awhile and usually makes the coffee in the morning. So one broke in marital unit aka the wife is for sale. Best offer and you haul.

Actually, Tallguys, you are kind of comparing apples to oranges. The Dolmar 7310 has more horsepower (5.4 vs. 4.5) and more weight (14.7 lb vs 12.9) than the Stihl MS361. If you are locked in on the 7310, you should compare it to the Stihl MS441 C-M (5.6 Hp and 14.6 lb).

And, don't forget the even lighter Husky 357 XP. A few of these might yet be around (4.4 HP and 12.1 lb). Decisions, decisions...

I agree that they're all very different machines (apples to oranges). But I'm comparing them not based on what cc class they match up with, rather how much cash is involved. Bang for the buck, so to speak. Assume for a moment that each one costs exactly the same and you need to decide which one to keep. Both the 361 and 7301 with 20" bar, when fuelled up tip the scales in and around 20lbs. so a 1 lb difference at that point is negligible, at least to me.

So, same amount of cash out of your pocket, would you take a 7301 or a 361?

Thanks for the replies, but please keep it to the two saws listed. Been poking around AS too darn long and have CAD like all the rest of you fine gentlemen so I already have more saws than I really need (want, now that is something else entirely). I suppose what I'm really trying to decide is whether to keep a 361 or a 7301, or consider if a 7310 would be an improvement on either one.
I see the problem more in what other saws do you have at hand? If you have a good 50cc saw then the 361 is a waste of time and money when you include the 7301. In the classic sense of having 20cc between two saws. If have quite some wood over 24inches then the 361 is a waste of time and money. In my experience it is much easier to get wood over 20 inch because most peoples saws are overtaxed.

... I suppose what I'm really trying to decide is whether to keep a 361 or a 7301, or consider if a 7310 would be an improvement on either one...

The 7301 is the predecessor of the 7310!
The 7301 & 7310 are basically identical, with the 7310 being choked down a bit due to the SLR muffler and the lower rpm limited coil.
I don't see a reason to replace a 7301 with a 7310 unless Your 7301 is really worn or You can get the 7310 at a really good price!

That been said, I say Dolmar!
Why?
Look at my sig.

I have been eyeballing a Dolmar PS-7310 myself!
I sure don't need one, but for whatever reason really want one!
Damn You ArboristSite and Your contagious CAD! :innocent:

I also tend to agree that the Dolmar 7310 would give you more grunt for the buck. It probably runs about the same as my Makita 6401 that now has a big bore on board. That saw will cut almost dead even with my Stihl 046 and even pulls a 30" bar upon demand. The Stihl MS 361 cannot do this. Get the bigger saw.

out of the box the 361 sucks. the 7310 is a good running saw but not worth the weight when you could have a 7910... I'd get a 562xp and have a lightweight powerful saw that would do 90% of your cutting....

I agree , its probably one of the best responding saws to a muffler mod , night and day on mine.

Maybe not NEED, but I certainly would WANT it!
And in this we are totally different view. I DONOT want a 361, because for me there are so many alternatives and the nimbus of the 361 is just that a nimbus.

out of the box the 361 sucks. the 7310 is a good running saw but not worth the weight when you could have a 7910... I'd get a 562xp and have a lightweight powerful saw that would do 90% of your cutting....

You are of course talking about the US ones there, that were demoted for EPA reasons - they are different elsewhere.

This thread has taken on several dimensions, many of which TallGuys could care less about. I have said this before and I will say it again. If I was ever forced to throw away every saw that I own and keep only one, the one I would keep would be the Stihl MS361. Now sold as the 362, it is the most versatile chain saw that Stihl ever made. With only my 361 in my holster, I could still cut and deliver 20 truckloads of firewood a year.

The 361 is my main fire wood saw. It's the smallest saw I'd ever consider for that purpose as we need to need to run 3/8 chain in our often dirty fallen hardwood. It does 90% of the work and then either the 460 or 064 steps in for the rest.
I generally avoid cutting rounds bigger than 18" to save my back given the damn high density of our local wood...warms the house nicely though.

The 361 is a pleasure to run; light, compact, pokey, great anti-vibe and after running for several hours I don't feel knackered.

This thread has taken on several dimensions, many of which TallGuys could care less about. I have said this before and I will say it again. If I was ever forced to throw away every saw that I own and keep only one, the one I would keep would be the Stihl MS361. Now sold as the 362, it is the most versatile chain saw that Stihl ever made. With only my 361 in my holster, I could still cut and deliver 20 truckloads of firewood a year.

The 362 isn't like the 361, and it is a less attractive saw. ;)

Agreed, and it makes me wonder why Stihl elected to change it. Life goes on.
EPA ********. As always. I had two different (stock) MS361s and I thought they were total turds. I didn't know about modding mufflers, and ended up selling them both, out of disappointment.

Back