Stihl MS460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonw440

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a chance to pick up a 460 for $200. The owner says it needs bearings.
I was thinking of doing the seals,bearings and maybe a big bore kit and a little mild porting while I have it apart.
Or should I just do the seals and bearings and rings and leave it stock?

Agreed, bearings and seals are not all that daunting. Just make sure everything is clean before you reassemble. Oem gasket kit is left than $20 and the pto bearing is around $12 ifrc. So assuming the top end is good you should only be $240 into a nice saw. If you think the piston is worn a new one is around $50, probably wouldn't hurt to go ahead and do that since you have it apart. Or at least a set if rings.

Oh btw "YOU SUCK!!"

Gunna have to disagree here

If it just needs bearings seals and gaskets, it's a good deal if ya ask me.

But if the bearings dropped a deuce and took out the top end / crank / case. Then I'd agree with ya

That's weird you put it like that because you are totally agreeing with me. No flaws meaning nothing needing replaced, meaning higher value, hence the term "unless immaculate" which means unless flawless.

I say if the saw is in good shape, tanks/ plastics are good, and the top end is clean then $200 is fair, even with a little elbow grease added in. Another factor is this with a bar and chain, cause that makes a difference. Pics would help.

00y0y_dtPfljsPeaF_600x450.jpg

00S0S_1LLPHSg4RJn_600x450.jpg

Stock jug.

Set squish. Advance timing and open muffler.

It's 77cc and will feel like a stock 066 if you do the above.

Unless you know what you're doing, "mild porting" can result in a bad bevel, extension into ring groove or skirt, free porting, etc...

Point is, you're likely to make it perform worse than stock and spend more time and money doing so.

I have a chance to pick up a 460 for $200. The owner says it needs bearings.
I was thinking of doing the seals,bearings and maybe a big bore kit and a little mild porting while I have it apart.
Or should I just do the seals and bearings and rings and leave it stock?
I see this listed on local CR. What does the owner mean by "center bearing issues", and how does he know that without tearing down the saw? Crank/conrod bearing or main bearing? As a parts saw, this would be worth maybe $150 tops. For comparison, I put a new top end on an MS460 (see below) that I got for $zero from the local dealer, so I don't think this listing represents a good deal.

MS460-1.jpg

I picked mine up for $75, needed a new rope & an A/V screw. Oh, and carb kit (ran but not very well).

I considered it a steal. $200 seems fair. Not a steal, but not a rip--assuming like others said all it needs are seals/bearings and not bigger stuff.

My rule of thumb,

Never buy a used saw for a price higher than you can turn around and resell it to get your cash back. Ask yourself, in 2 years if I haven't had a chance to work on it, can I get my $200 back? I've seen cosmetically challenged, but strong running MS460s that loggers and tree services are selling off in the $300 to $500 price range.

At this point the saw is worth nothing more than what you would pay for a parts saw because that's exactly what it is. Can you part this saw out for what you'll pay? As it doesn't run there remains several possible issues such as the carb, air leaks, oiler, and obviously P&C, etc. that may or may not need to be addressed. Who decided it just needed bearings, the owner that you don't know, or was the diagnosis from a reputable saw shop?

Food for thought, good luck.

Take Care

Latest posts

Back