How many are running square ground?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The stupid look on their face or to watch us get pissed off at the counter guy when we ask for a "long" 105 driver chain?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I'm a gonna need 3 loops of 147 link full skip chisel, a 3/4 wrap handle, some 14" wedges, and a gyppo jug, and you gotta bull prick for a Chyrsti back there by any chance?

I'm a gonna need 3 loops of 147 link full skip chisel, a 3/4 wrap handle, some 14" wedges, and a gyppo jug, and you gotta bull prick for a Chyrsti back there by any chance?
Isn't it always fun messing with a new guy from behind the counter?

Make my back hurt as well. We have a few "shop saws" that run 28" bars and I don't really care for that much bar. I'm normally using a saw to limb whatever got missed by the stroke delimber or bucking the tree length in ~20ish ft lengths so it's alot of bar for no real reason.

I've got some of the long bars like that and they make my back hurt but when they are needed I'll pull them out.

Make my back hurt as well. We have a few "shop saws" that run 28" bars and I don't really care for that much bar. I'm normally using a saw to limb whatever got missed by the stroke delimber or bucking the tree length in ~20ish ft lengths so it's alot of bar for no real reason.
28" bar is too much bending over limbing but we walk down the trees and limb here.

I'd much rather have customers like that then the...

"I need a "blade" for my saw"

Blade? You mean a chain?

"Yeah... whatever"

Sure... what length, guage and pitch?

"Ummm..... ?????"

Well, do you know the model saw?

"Ummmm..... it's orange?."

:nofunny:

I think I gave the last 28" bar I had away... shortest falling saw I use is 32", keep a 20" in the skidder fer bumping nots, and another 20" for my own firewood duty (modded 066 w 8 pin makes 3 cords in a little under 2 tanks of gas)
I have one 20" bar I keep around for slashing alder and salmon berry in the reprod fir, and a 20 on the 555 for the landing bumping knots.

I'm used to a saw that is pretty well balanced so a longer bar is screwy for me, and hard on my back. I broke my back 5 years ago and that destroyed 3 disks so I have to be careful.
Nearly all the logging we do is mechanized so hardly ever drop trees by hand. Not that I can't, but the feller buncher has a nice seat, radio and heat. :p

Hello, I would like to use square ground as well.

I've made one 3 years ago out of a .325 chain that was nearly worn out. It does cut much better but I have no file to use to sharpen again.

I have a Oregon wheel that I dressed to the angle I needed to do the chain and it works well. Just had to touch up the corner with a tiny bastard file to get it sharp.

I'm thinking the oregon wheel I have is not fine enough to make a nice corner as it was a Round ground wheel to begin with and converted to square shape with a stone.

What wheel works best for a nice grind?

I don't have a grinder but can look for one. (I used a buddy's grinder before)

I have tried to get square chain from Stihl but it seems that they're discontinuing square chains due to lack of popularity.

The dealer also doesn't have a clue what file to order for square filing.

They got me several files that I've never seen before in my life. lol

Check out baileys, a sponser here, they should have the file you need, one is trapazodial, the other is sort of an uneven hex shape, 3 long and 3 short sides. Go for the Pferd brand if you can, though the Oregon file isn't terrible.

As far as grinders, if you want to spend the cash Simington is still making them, but Silvey is out of business, you can still find Silveys used, but they are not cheap, neither are the simingtons...

So I thought there was chisel chain (round and square) and round semi-chisel, but no such thing as "full chisel"

I am guilty of calling skip chain "full skip".

I erroneously called Juniper ERC for years.
Oh well. I've run SuperMike square, and can attest to its smoothness and "big chip make-y-ness"
Lol
You are right, full chisel is slang for "Full house, chisel or Full Comp Chisel as 'full' ONLY refers to the cuters intervuls.
So its cool for me to say full chisel
as I order a chain but I should not be writing that especially now not being the time as it further confuses the matter.. My Bad

K..I don't like picking on me, I thought I told you guys a was a hippocrate
Ok.. let do some friendly critiquing

"I am also running square ground, full skip, full chisel 32"

This one is a clasic...lol there is no such thing as full chisel in this sense.
All you need to say is;
32" square skip
Agreed? The word ground is redundant & square implys chisel
Also pretty sure 32" implys skip most everywhere.
Ok now were at: 32"sq
There you go with all those words I saved; when he gives me the bill
I can say "you should be wearing a mask EH!"..lol

Collectivlely we will get it.
Not to pick on anyone, its contagious, I start writing things I don't mean, so ..its..crazy
Remember " there is no i in Team
but there is two in IDIOT

"Chain Nazi"
NO CHAIN FOR YOU!

Full skip would be not incorrect. There is fill complement, semi skip and full skip chain available.

Well I guess if thats what the kids in marketing are calling it these days. If they are going to change the name after all theses years then why don't they just call it; this, that and the other $hit? It would make more sense and more appealing to loggers than adding full to a name of 1 of 3 that already has the word full as a prefix.

I'm old school and I don't eccept jr
Changing the name. Skip & full comp have been around way before semi-skip, So its here so lets change the name of skip to "full skip" well that makes about as much sense as wiping before you poop.

Question: what do you do for a livin' Boaster? Well in a faller
You mean a Feller, to say you are a Faller is to say you fall down...didn't you get the memo from 1997? "As a matter of fact I did
Now get the puck out of here before I beat the bark off ya with my axe.

Chain was about 1/3 used up. I reshape the rakers for smoothness. They look stock. I don't need as low of rakers to get a good bite in the wood with the angles I use.

What VF is saying is the botton of chassis appears mushroomed, like remenisance of hook and low rakers. I think its just a wicked witch craft pic. The shavings look magnified so its probably not that bad,chain may have got tight at one point?

I don't know what they've been up to in the Cheese Country, but the new full chisel Swiss made chains are cutting beautifully. Plus no stretch whatsoever.

Latest posts

Back