Is Stihl 361 or Dolmar 7310 better for firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From my experience with regular firewood cutting the 361 will keep right up with the Dolmar with the right muffler mod. It really is a night and day difference for this model.
The restricted stock muffler will also shorten the life of the saw. Stihl corporation makes money selling saws, not fixing them.

From my experience with regular firewood cutting the 361 will keep right up with the Dolmar with the right muffler mod. ....
And what happens when you do a muffler mod on the dolmar...

I am always astonished when people proclaim such things, that a 60cc saw will keep up with a 70cc saw is just plain embarrising. I mean of course if you only cut wood in the sub 20 inch category I know some people who have a 50cc saw that will keep up with a 60cc...
icon_tra_005.gif

Of course you just have to keep pumping up the diametre and quite soon, even the fabulous 361 with muff mod will disappear from site.

This is AS for the love of christ..you NEED a "masterminded" 046 D-jug hybrid with a 200 dollar bar to cut 15" logs into firewood lengths.

These debates are amusing.

If i cut a big logs i use a big saw.

If i cut small logs i use a small saw.

Buy the saw that suits what you do mang...not much else to it.

I think 60cc is very useful but I would get a dolmar 6100 myself over the stihl. Unless you found a good deal on a 361 then 361 all day.
But I also know if I had the 7310 I would "have to " upgrade it to a 7900. More power grunt grunt grunt. Lol.
Waste of money unless you want to pull a 32". Very hard to tell the difference in a 7300 and 7900.

I thought you needed a ported 390 or 660/661 for 15" wood Ryan[emoji6]

And what happens when you do a muffler mod on the dolmar...

I am always astonished when people proclaim such things, that a 60cc saw will keep up with a 70cc saw is just plain embarrising. I mean of course if you only cut wood in the sub 20 inch category I know some people who have a 50cc saw that will keep up with a 60cc...
icon_tra_005.gif

Of course you just have to keep pumping up the diametre and quite soon, even the fabulous 361 with muff mod will disappear from site.

What's embarrassing is wanting to have a bigger saw modded because a smaller one can catch it.

I'm just a dummy, but I cut up a 20" cedar the other day with a ported 562xp (20") and a ported 2188 (24" 8-pin).... and the 2188 was easily twice as fast cutting through that log. I get sick of hearing how a 50 or 60cc is just as fast in 20" and under (or in softwood), because it's total BS. Does it really matter? Probably not. If you're happy running a POS 361, then just ****ing do it. Personally, I'd rather run the Dolmar.

What's embarrassing is wanting to have a bigger saw modded because a smaller one can catch it.
I think what @7sleeper is trying to say is , do the same mods on both saws in question and then say and prove the smaller cc saw is equal or better then the larger cc one - keeping in mind that they are both supposedly worth a equal amount of money!

Considering I own and use a Dolmar PS-6400 & PS-7900 I can imagine what a Dolmar PS-7310 is capable of - she shouldn't be anything short of awesome.
I have no clue what a Stihl 361 handles like, nor what she is capable off, thus I am inclined to other members opinions and those quite often sound a bit bogus to be honest.
It is a smaller saw, of course it is lighter then the PS-7310 - but claiming the 361 will do as or even out cut a PS-7310, I don't think so.

But, what do I know, I own only 4 saws, one of which is not currently operational.

P.S.:
The OP missed telling us the true nature of his question in detail, but to my understanding he was contemplating which saw to let go to finance the PS-7310.
If that is the case, sell Your DCS-7301 and replace her with the PS-7310 - but only if the PS-7310 is in better condition then Your DCS-7301 and You don't have to ad any or too much money to purchase her.
If You just need to liquify some assets, sell the Stihl as it is the smaller saw - and You noted "they both have the same value".

Then again, maybe I got this wrong as well!

I think what @7sleeper is trying to say is , do the same mods on both saws in question and then say and prove the smaller cc saw is equal or better then the larger cc one - keeping in mind that they are both supposedly worth a equal amount of money!

Considering I own and use a Dolmar PS-6400 & PS-7900 I can imagine what a Dolmar PS-7310 is capable of - she shouldn't be anything short of awesome.
I have no clue what a Stihl 361 handles like, nor what she is capable off, thus I am inclined to other members opinions and those quite often sound a bit bogus to be honest.
It is a smaller saw, of course it is lighter then the PS-7310 - but claiming the 361 will do or even out cut a PS-7310, I don't think so.

But, what do I know, I own only 4 saws, one of which is not currently operational.

P.S.:
The OP missed telling us the true nature of his question in detail, but to my understanding he was contemplating which saw to let go to finance the PS-7310.
If that is the case, sell Your PS-7300 and replace her with the PS-7310 - but only if the PS-7310 is in better condition then Your PS-7300 and You don't have to ad any or too much money to purchase her.

Then again, maybe I got this wrong as well!

You didn't get it wrong, nor did anyone else. It's all from a few different perspectives. From mine...I'm not picturing spending all day bucking 32" plus rounds with a 60cc saw. I used the term regular firewood cutting with the thought of cutting wood of variable sizes and to others that may have nothing to do with wood under 30" in diameter.

I was also making a comparison to a stock Dolmar. If I'm going to compare something to a hopped up Dolmar then I'll grab a hopped up 440 or 372, or compare it to something larger like a stock 460 or stock 7900.

Point is, the OP inclined to consider only the two saws mentioned, Stihl 361 & Dolmar PS-7310, and then mentioned his Makita DCS-7301 as well.
Thanks for the replies, but please keep it to the two saws listed. Been poking around AS too darn long and have CAD like all the rest of you fine gentlemen so I already have more saws than I really need (want, now that is something else entirely). I suppose what I'm really trying to decide is whether to keep a 361 or a 7301, or consider if a 7310 would be an improvement on either one.

Now please don't ask me to look up other quotes as this thread doesn't have that amount of worthiness to me to go through it.

I believe a debate started about the 361 being a turd and someone mentioned muffler modding it from which it would have noticeable gains and that it will out cut a PS-7310 in smaller wood after that.
At that point the counter argument started with muffler modding the PS-7310 too.

If the Stihl 361 is not being considered "hopped up" with a muffler mod (but recognized as a turd without it), what makes the Dolmar PS-7310 being "hopped up" with just a muffler mod then? o_O

I am not trying to start a fight or brand war, I shall rest my case with this post and try to refrain myself from adding further reply's to this topic.

Cheers,
W. :cheers:

The 7300 more agressive saw,than the 361.
The are not on the same level.
If someone likes Dolmar, pure power....go with that.
If someone prefer more comfort, less power....go with
the 361.

Playing with them a few days back I've got to say, the ms361 is a really nice saw, much more grunt than an ms260 I had used a while back.
Could do a lot worse than having one of these as a one saw plan. Now, that 7301 on the other hand flat out snarls and rips likes it's just angry.
Think I know pretty much which way I'm leaning.

Back