How many of you wear eye protection ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always. Buddy from school was cutting a cookie off a round to long for his stove, took 3 seconds and he don't see out of that glass eye very well. As Slowp posted, Bugz, and they don't fog up!

I try to have an extra pair of eye and ear protection in the chain saw tool box. Hate to admit it but many times I'm only going to cut a few small limbs so I end up without glasses while I'm cutting several trees. What I need is No Fog Goggles and get over it....

I will admit, I don't. Even in winter they fog up on me. In summer the sweat drips all over them making it damn near impossible to see.

I always wear eye, ear and even lung protection PPE when cutting wood, doing lawns, working with metals like grinding of drilling and always have.
I used to see lots of guys with no PPE and sometimes the results of the accidental chard of metal, wood or glass. One friend even lost a finger and another an eye.
I'm a welder and would NEVER weld or grind without my helmet or grinding shield.
When using the chainsaws, I use a pair of regular safety glasses or no-fog goggles under my screened helmet.
I even make the wife use safety boots, ear plugs, gloves and safety glasses when she uses lawn trimmer.
If most of the things we do become habits, may as well make them good habits from the get go.

If most of the things we do become habits, may as well make them good habits from the get go.
I have worn steel toes and saftey glasses in most jobs I've had. I also almost always wear ear protection.
Broke my foot(metatarsal) last yr when a 20"+ log I had just bucked rolled on my leg, ankle, then flipped onto my foot.
Didn't see that coming or the splitter wedge sized piece that came off the bottom cut of a 50"+ when I was prying the two pieces apart I had just noodled because I couldn't budge a 12" cut. I hit it once with my splitter to separate the two pieces and I missed by 1/4", then I somehow managed to pry that exact spot with my pickaxe and out it came. It hit me with enough force to knock me down and hit me within a 1/2 of my eye on the bridge of my nose.
I had just taken my glasses off as it was getting dark, and to be perfectly honest I would probably do the same thing again:dumb:.

I swear my eyes are magnets when it comes to running a chainsaw.. I have crawled to the truck several times to look in the mirror to remove chunks of sawdust out of my eyes.. Back in the 80's I cut pulp wood and of course no one on the crew had any sort of eye protection .. (Or chaps ) I would wear my sunglasses to help keep the mess out of my eyes.. I just dont see how so many saw men can run a saw all day with no glasses or face shield .. Sometimes I wear both if the wind is bad.. Just this evening I had a knot about 3 inches in dia I had to trim.. I figured for the 5-6 seconds it was gonna take I could get by with out my glasses on.. Oh heck no.. Not half way through the cut a shaving 3/8 long went square into my left eye.. Off to the truck mirror I went...

I had to learn the hard way. Had to go to the emergency room a few times.
The last time scared me pretty good. Thought I might lose one eye.
Doesn't get any more real then that.
Eye sight is one of the most important sciences you have. Take care of it.

I got into the good habit of safety glasses with side shields when I worked in a sugar plant. Even then I managed to get a piece of metal shaving in around them into an eye while outside prepping a pipe to weld. I ALWAYS have 2 pair in the truck, one set has cheater lenses now as I'm old and fat, losing some close up sight.

Always. Mine are prescription safety glasses with side shields. They're required where I work.

Something to keep in mind about safety glasses ~ if they're not full wrap or have side shields they won't protect your eyes from flying particles. I've gotten sawdust in my eyes more than once while cutting. Was wearing my safety glasses without the side shields. Started using the side shields and haven't had it happen since.

I wear some cheap 3M safety/sunglasses from Lowes. I can cut timber all day and they never fog up or anything.

Arbhelmet here with mesh visor. Cant ware goggles for long because of misting, but will use them under the visor for brief periods when the wind if against me or when grinding.

I wear prescription safety eyeglasses with the side shields all the time, plus when cutting the husky helmet with face screen. I was running an electric chainsaw once and hit a pocket and got a face full of splinters instantly, one stuck in and sort of ruined my vision in that eye. It has slowly healed over the years, but I can tell it is still there, especially at night. No good eye protection that day, regular cheap eyeglasses that the splinters got around somehow.

I hardly ever wear any ppe. Ok never..
Yeah... that's me also... and I've got the scars to prove it.
However, I do wear bifocals and that likely bounces a lot of crap away from my eyes.
As far as PPE, I have a a hardhat... somewhere. And I do where goggles when grinding steel... so the sparks don't melt little divots in my bifocals (darn bifocals ain't cheap).

Back