HDA 87 alternatives?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

decableguy2000

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have pondering on a HDA 87 (for a Husqvarna 262) alternative. These rare and expensive. I was thinking it may be possible to tune a HDA 198 into a 87 by changing the check valve, (new) and the shafts from a HDA 120. About the only thing I'm not sure about would be the needles. Its just an idea and not a need. I have plenty of other broke thins to tinker on.

Jeremy

I have pondering on a HDA 87 (for a Husqvarna 262) alternative. These rare and expensive. I was thinking it may be possible to tune a HDA 198 into a 87 by changing the check valve, (new) and the shafts from a HDA 120. About the only thing I'm not sure about would be the needles. Its just an idea and not a need. I have plenty of other broke thins to tinker on.

Jeremy
I ran a heavily ported 262 Friday. Changing from stock carb to 87 was marginally better....most wouldn't notice. The stock /later carb was feeding it while pulling 20" 3/8 burried...doing just fine. I wouldn't sweat it if you don't have an 87 unless the saw is wildly ported with bridges and such. Standard woods port you'll never see it.

There is no real need for it, I was thinking about it after working on PP 330 with a HDA 164 (witch the nozzles and the carb are NLA) and the 134 is NLA for this saw and I was thinking what I can do to come up with other options.

Jeremy

Do these carbs need to be worked on or are they fine to run as is?

I would think the throttle & choke shaft would have to changed so the controls would work I'm unsure about the jet sizes and the newer ones will have limit caps like a HDA 144.

Jeremy

Carbs are a mystery to most, including myself.

Man I concur. I'm trying to learn these little things. I hate not being able to fix some and tossing them. But do you do when nothing is available anymore toss a good saw for a bad carb?

Jeremy

Back