NEW DHT (Dirty Hand Tools) 35 Ton Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW ‼
In all the splitter thread I read comments about how big the reservoir needs to be, how big the lines need to be, how big the cylinder needs to be, how big the wedge needs to be, how big the push plate needs to be, how big the engine needs to be, and I can't remember what all else.
And then I look at my splitter, that's been splitting wood for over 30 years, still has the original hydraulic oil in it (and it's still as clear as bottled water)... man-oh-man, to read these threads, my splitter should have melted down 29½ years ago.

DHT,
If'n ya' really wanna' build something "innovative" take a lesson from the guys who build these.
  • 100% hands-free auto-cycle operation.
  • Adjustable stroke length.
  • Automatic throttle control.
  • 8000 PSI operating pressure.
  • Less than 10 second cycle time (for the full 25 inch stroke).
  • Single spool, user serviceable (one lock nut and one single o-ring), hands-free, auto-cycle valve.
  • Non-vented (closed system) hydraulics.
  • Floating/swiveling small circular push pad that keeps all force directly in-line with the ram, even on angle-cut rounds.
  • All metal coupling between engine and pump.
  • One single, small diameter hydraulic pressure hose (all others are welded steel).
  • Takes up less space than a small lawn tractor.
  • Total WET weight... less than 200 pounds‼
Now that's innovation... and they've been building them for over thirty years‼

View attachment 362531 View attachment 362532 View attachment 362533
Do you change the filter?

You might wanna put a gauge on that 8000 psi... Unless of course the darkside of the internet told you better...

Actually AIM, there ain't any way to put a gauge on it. There's only two threaded fittings, one at the pump and one the control valve at the other end of the hose... everything else is welded. The valve and cylinder are welded together, the hydraulic booster and shifter are incorporated within that. The pump is not a two-stage pump, the valve does the "shifting" from high to low... it's all done within the valve and cylinder. The 8000 PSI pressure is not made by the pump, the hydraulic booster does that on a demand basis and is incorporated in the welded valve/cylinder assembly... I believe the pump only supplies 1500 PSI to the valve input port. How is it possible for the machine to develop 15 to 20 tons of splitting force (depending on model) using a 2-inch cylinder if pressures ain't in the 8000 PSI range??

This is from the manual...

The hydraulic system on the Log Boss uses
very high oil pressure and any leaks should
not be touched if they are spraying oil.
The 1500 P.S.I. will penetrate the skin under
the right conditions. The Log Boss hydraulic
system develops up to 8OOO P.S.I. If oil is
blown into your skin, SEE YOUR PHYSICIAN
WITHOUT DELAY!

Your Log Boss oil reservoir has been filled
at the factory with Amoco 1000 fluid. IMPORTANT!
Do not add any other kind of hydraulic fluid to
the machine. To do so could ruin the hydraulic
system. Because of the ultra high pressure of
the Log Boss hydraulic system, many oil products
are inadequate and will cause immediate failure.

Do not use substitute hydraulic systems to
power the splitter, such as the pump on a farm
tractor. Excess input pressure will cause
breakage of the machine and possible personal
injury.

PERIODIC MAINTENANCE REQUIREMENTS
1. Check oil level - with ram in not extended.
Oil level should be approximately I" below
oil filler hole.
2. Grease cam on lever.
3. Check engine oil each time before starting.
4. Check guide shoes (on under side of ram
head) for excessive wear. Worn, cracked
guide shoes put undue wear on ram bushing
and should be replaced immediately.
5. Put light oil on throttle cable so it runs
into housing and allows for freer motion.
6. Nicks on the wedge can be easily fixed with
sharp file.

Notice that changing the hydraulic oil and filter is not a recommended, nor required, maintenance item.
Closed system (no vent), no moisture intrusion, no need to change it.

Ya I'll eat some crow on this one. I would have never believed 8000 psi out of any splitter pump. Usually high psi stuff is on special industrial equipment. Plus 8000 psi hose isn't exactly common.

Build it here and stop the Chinese manufacturing and put some big wheels on these things, they look like little shopping carts!! That is why they trailer so bad. Price isn't everything especially when you have to buy another splitter to replace the low priced model.

Build it here and stop the Chinese manufacturing and put some big wheels on these things, they look like little shopping carts!! That is why they trailer so bad. Price isn't everything especially when you have to buy another splitter to replace the low priced model.
:cheers:

Back