What do you do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawgs or hold back?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
I use the dawgs when cross cutting, when noodleling I hold back! Simply because my saws are not good noodlers when in contact.

Ditch the dawgs and use a slide on my bucking saws. Keep a small set of dawgs on the felling saws but not for leverage, just a pivot point. A sharp chain is not enough on its own, the chain/depth gauge relationship needs to be correct for the type of wood being cut along with the correct cutter shape for self feeding.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

You should never be forcing your saw rocking it up and down pulling on the handle, all you are doing is stressing your mounts and wearing your bar unreasonably.

So to answer the question, I ride the dogs in, but all they are doing is holding the forward momentum of the saw

image.jpeg

Have no problem using the dogs on a saw. Once you start thinking of them as a solidly anchored pivot the argument kind've evaporates. Yes it's obvious you don't use them to force the saw through the wood....kind've like preaching to the choir on a site like this.

Ditch the dawgs and use a slide on my bucking saws. Keep a small set of dawgs on the felling saws but not for leverage, just a pivot point. A sharp chain is not enough on its own, the chain/depth gauge relationship needs to be correct for the type of wood being cut along with the correct cutter shape for self feeding.

I like the term, "pivot point".

And totally agree on the chain matching the wood, but how does one setup a chain, for say 10 logs - 3 hickory, 2 ash, a maple, 2 red oaks, a walnut and a gum?

View attachment 466331

Have no problem using the dogs on a saw. Once you start thinking of them as a solidly anchored pivot the argument kind've evaporates. Yes it's obvious you don't use them to force the saw through the wood....kind've like preaching to the choir on a site like this.

Agree.

I didn't see the dull chain argument coming.

I like the term, "pivot point".

And totally agree on the chain matching the wood, but how does one setup a chain, for say 10 logs - 3 hickory, 2 ash, a maple, 2 red oaks, a walnut and a gum?

You have too many species to choose from! I either cut hardwood or softwood, frozen or not frozen.

Back