Fiskars X27 vs Husqvarna S2800

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll throw this out there. If you send it up, I'll make a video of the two and cover cost to send it back.

That can happen, but not till March or so. I have a LOT of splitting to do this winter. I will post pics of my rounds pile next week so you know I'm not exaggerating.

it was a short video, didn't really intend to make it or i would have done it different or had some other wood setup. i've been a fiskars nut swinger since day one, but I really like the husky S2800. I wanted to not like it because it was short, but I like it a lot, and the more I use it, the more I like it.

I compared the X27, the S2800, and the Stihl Pro Series splitting axe. (not the maul). I haven't used the Stihl axe much since getting the husky. I just wish the S2800 had a 4-6" longer handle.

Part way through he said was his sister ,That was what i was talking about with the axe bounce back off the tire ,at the end the fiskars missed and bounced back , it took her front tooth out and put a hole through her lip ,hope she was able to keep the tooth ,that looked like an unfortunate accident
For the price point on that axe he was right about could get a Neeman and have a nice handcrafted tool .
I do not see where the tire would help split ,i normally just use a big round for a chopping block ,then if the axe goes through all the way ,does not kill the edge on the ground .
That Fiskars was being released from a stuck head when she pulled it back wrong. You can't blame the Fiskars or any other maul for her ignorant retrieval.

I went to my daughter and son in law to work up some seasoned white oak. They had their brand new TSC splitter and to be honest they were quite new at it too. I started splitting with the Fiskars and was almost three rounds to their one. They outlasted me in endurance, but were impressed with how fast the Fiskars was. I'm sure they'll have a new one one next time I help.
I'll sure run out of gas before the splitter does!

How do you guys like my custom "serrated" edge? This is about 5 cords worth of splitting on the ground with no block.

The metal is brittle when you hit rocks but it's definitely significantly more durable than my Fiskars.

image.jpeg

How do you guys like my custom "serrated" edge? This is about 5 cords worth of splitting on the ground with no block.

The metal is brittle when you hit rocks but it's definitely significantly more durable than my Fiskars.

View attachment 474549
Is this the recently purchased S2800? Sheez...can dress ya up just can't take ya nowhere! You're banned from any further swinging... 'bout time a mod got banned for something around here...:laugh:

No sympathy here. Can't claim ignorance on that.

Philbert
It's twice as fast to split on the ground and time is money. It completely paid for itself on the very first day I used it.

My Fiskars has about 40 cords through it. Judging by the wear I'd say at between 80-100 cords it would no longer have a shape suitable for splitting. At that point my depreciation cost is 40 to 50 cents per cord. I can live with that.

The edge can be restored. You dont have to get who edge completely back with no nicks in it, just remove enough to make it sharp again.

I went to my daughter and son in law to work up some seasoned white oak. They had their brand new TSC splitter and to be honest they were quite new at it too. I started splitting with the Fiskars and was almost three rounds to their one. They outlasted me in endurance, but were impressed with how fast the Fiskars was. I'm sure they'll have a new one one next time I help.

I agree. A person in good health, splitting seasoned wood can easily outpace a gas powered hydraulic splitter. When I come across a really really difficult piece of wood, I toss into next years wood pile. No sense in killing myself in splitting a piece of wood that isn't ready to burn.

That's probably why you like the Leveraxe - keeps you from hitting the ground?

Philbert
Well for the wood it works good in, yes. Plus it's faster because you are saving a significant range of motion.

Downside is leveraxe only works well in clear, straight grained, and/or frozen wood.

That's probably why you like the Leveraxe - keeps you from hitting the ground?

Philbert

I split wood with an axe for years the way dad taught me, the same way the Lever Axe works, never hit the ground and works almost as good as the Fiskars. I use the Fiskars the same way I learned to use the axe and it don't hit the ground. If you've been reminded as many times as I was, "don't hit the ground with the axe" or yelled at when it did hit dirt, it won't leave your brain.:chop: I even hate to see this emoticon.

I like splitting up on blocks. I like the height. I like the edge protection. I like the way the impact is directed into the wood, instead of absorbed by the dirt. Might not be as fast.

Philbert
Unless you are splitting real tough stuff I don't think what is underneath it really matters. I split all of the stuff in this picture and the rounds were just plopped down in 6" of snow, which hardly makes a solid base. 1-2 swings to halve them than one swing per split after that.
image.jpeg
Some guy on here said he splits wood sitting on a mattress just to prove the point to people. Can't remember who it was though.

Latest posts

Back