How Much Wood Have You used

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Southern tier of Upstate NY.

I try and stack for monthly allocations during the burn season from October - March. It's December 5th and were still working on the October allocation and have at least another week of burning on it. Very mild so far, especially compared to last winter.

Burned my loose pile of uglies and ends all up and maybe a half cord of mixed hard/soft wood. I went to load the stove last night just out of habit. My wife threatened to open all the windows in the house if I got near that stove! I checked the temp outside...33 degrees. I shrugged my shoulders (indicating she was right) and went to bed! It was still 68 in the house this morning.

...33 degrees.
40° here right now and still climbing rapidly... clear sky, bright sun.
I'm bettin' I'd be able to walk out to the mail box barefoot this afternoon (if not for the friggin' mud).
We might see as low as 33° just before sun-up a couple times this week... but I ain't holdin' my breath.
The good news is there any real chance for rain all week and with the south breezes we might just dry out a bit.

I hauled in a load in the back of my gator back in Oct. Not even a 1/4 cord. I need to haul in another load sometime today. temps in the mid to upper 20's last couple of nights. 75* in house when I got up this morning. High today, 59*. Its a battle between to hot and not hot enough around here.

I hauled in a load in the back of my gator back in Oct. Not even a 1/4 cord. I need to haul in another load sometime today. temps in the mid to upper 20's last couple of nights. 75* in house when I got up this morning. High today, 59*. Its a battle between to hot and not hot enough around here.
same here.. same amount..been wayyy warm, and haven't even got close to burning all the uglies...

We have only burnt maybe a 1/4 of a cord. I let the oil furnace run a little longer than usual this fall but still didn't go over my allotted 1/4 tank, I try and make a point of not letting the furnace run after Nov. 1 due to the fact that our hot air wood furnace can heat us right out if I light it too early. I was reading Buffalo N.Y. broke a 116 year record for the latest snow fall. Our snowmobile trails would open next week if we had snow.

Burned my uglies and less than a cord of pine. I bet alot of you would consider pine uglies too lol. Been burning since the end of sept. Was cold last week had a skiff of snow but its warming up now. Was in the 40°s today.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Whitespider - are you the beneficiary of the El Nino causing excessive rain?
Not really excessive... but we've had some that dropped a couple inches in a day or two. We've also had a couple snows, one was about 8-9 inches and then they melt in a day or two, or three. Those snows that melt do more to make mud than the rain... much of rain tends to run off, whereas the melting snow has more time to soak in. Normally our ground is frozen solid by now... around 6-10 inches deep (or more). The precipitation ain't really abnormal... it's the warm(ish) temps, melting and unfrozen ground that is.

Maybe 1/2 cord here.
The weather has been all over the place so mainly house warming fires and less than stellar wood.
Seems like a similar pattern to last year though when we all burnt crud wood until early January then had to burn locust and oak to try and stay warm for 75 days in a row.
Hope not.

one stick one cord what difference does it make? Just retain your comfort level!

2.5 cord here. But I heat three big buildings. Just moved 8 cord of 3 year old bur oak into the barn to keep it dry and so the pallets don't get frozen into the mud. The bark is falling off the bur oak which is a good sign it is ready to burn.

About 1/2 a cord. Heating house garage and DHW. Did burn about 50 gal of oil as well.

Havent even started burning wood yet. Its been 40ish every night here (LI, NY) and I dont start burning til it gets below freezing.

Back