Would you loan your woodsplitter to your neighbor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlguy

10 yo grandson using 024 Super
Reaction score
My neighbor has bought his firewood from a buddy of mine for several yrs. My buddy raised his price slightly. My neighbor bought his wood from another guy, guess what, it isn't split!!!! So, my neighbor comes over to ask if he could borrow my splitter(not rent or offer to pay), I politely said I prefer not to loan out any of my power equipment.

My neighbor has bought his firewood from a buddy of mine for several yrs. My buddy raised his price slightly. My neighbor bought his wood from another guy, guess what, it isn't split!!!! So, my neighbor comes over to ask if he could borrow my splitter(not rent or offer to pay), I politely said I prefer not to loan out any of my power equipment.
Tell him wood handled splitters are 30.00 or less at the box stores

I have one neighbor I wouldn't loan an Anvil to.
I have a couple of others who I let borrow anything they want and they do the same with me. If we borrow something, we return it in better condition than when taken. If broken, it's replaced with the same or better.
It depends on the person.

not usually, but, my rule is: "if you break it...you fix it immediately".

the problem with loaning out my splitter is I don't get it back and I have to retrieve it all the time, so, lately, it stays home being "repaired"

I don't borrow anything from anyone because 90% of the time I'll end up repairing their junk. My saws and all power equipment are never borrowed out. If someone gets hurt using my stuff, I could end up paying their hosp bills. Best to say that it's being repaired or it just doesn't run right... Example: One guy down the road borrowed a splitter from my neighbor, the guy down the roads son was only 6 years old and he ran the controls for his dad. Within the hour, dad lost his thumb in the splitter - turns out the neighbor had a wooden block attached to the ram so his insurance would not pay the hospital bill and guess who ended up in court.. Nope!! It don't leave the property without me...

I think that's pretty ballsy of him. It's also a difficult question to answer without some important variables that need to be provided that are currently unknown to me. I would just tell him he can borrow it for as long as you can borrow his wife and/or daughter. I don't know your age or marital status so you'll have to plug in those variables.

I generally don't let my splitter out in the rain, If it gets a shower once in awhile I'm not too worried, but i keep it inside..Anyway I took mine over by my brothers place when he had a big tree taken down. It was in june and figured i woulnt need it all summer anyway, in fall I went to pick it up, assuming it would be in his garage,, no! It was sitting out in the weeds all summer.

I have to agree with Canadian Farm Boy. If I loan out any tool I come with it and I don't just loan out anything at all. There has to be a real need. I don't hold back on helping anyone who needs it for any legitimate reason, including not knowing how to do something. I replaced a part of a subfloor near a door that had gotten too wet for too long and 2 entry doors for one of my wife's friends but I had the tools and the knowledge to do it right.

That's funny!

I agree it really varies by neighbor.

That's 100% true, it does. My buddy (not really a neighbor as he's not next door) down the road will loan me out his Ariens splitter, no questions asked, for weeks if I need it. But when I do return it to him it's always cleaner than when I got it, plus the gas I ran through it will have some StarTron mixed in so he's always thankful for that as it could sit for months before he fires it up to blow the cobwebs out. One time his Yamaha YZ250 was down for repairs and he had a big race coming up on the weekend. Now a week before, I had just picked up a brand new Kawasaki KX250 at the dealer. He races, I was just a casual trail rider, but the guy was in a pinch and needed something fast enough to race with. So I let him have it that weekend so he could race his A Vet class. Out of about 20 racers in that class I believe he placed 3rd.

Not only NO, but HE!! NO!

If I like my neighbor, I will take my splitter over and help/them him out, BUT I tell them up front that they HAVE to come help me with mine too!

IF they no show on mine, I NEVER do ANYTHING for them again! NO exceptions!

SR

Back