Detailing a chainsaw ,the official PSP thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trx250r180

Saw polisher
Reaction score
What products do you guys use to clean up your pride and joys ? I have tried castrol superclean in the past ,it cleans them ,but discolors stuff and eats the coating off the hardware ,also drys out the plastics ,so i have just left them dirty ,using compressed air only to blow the chunks off .What have you guys found to clean them up without ruining the saw in the process ? On faded plastics ,i have had good luck with just soaking them in bar oil ,it seems to bring them back ok for a while .

I use a paint brush and lightly brush it off then use a little air to blow out hard to reach places and then I use my chamois and it seems to pick up a and distribute a thin layer of bar oil.
If it is one of those neglected saw that I get the pleasure to clean up a use a screw driver, stiff nylon brush, paint brush a bit of 2 stroke mix and a lot of time.

c75d0b016dd0cbb08c9c219151092c8b.jpg

Simple Green Pro HD takes the gunk off, but you have to work fast ... or the plastic gets discolored.

About 1.5 pints of regualr SG in 5 gallons of hot water will have no ill effects on the shine and you can let the stuff soak.

All these posts may be what was done in the past to clean a saw back to PSP spec. Today however, the modern PSP has evolved to the point that such deep cleaning methods are no longer required. Step1. Buy expensive pro saw bigger than you ever have use for. Step2. Spend up big on the highest quality reduced weight bar/bars in sizes you have no use for and bolt as many accessories you can muster onto saw (scrench holder, micro tach/hr meter, wrap bar, dual felling spikes ect).Step3. Send it to favourite saw builder or the one who has given you the most 'likes' on AS. Step4. Only with the highest quality ester based oil mix at a ratio you seen on the innernets and piss rev the saw daily with no b/c attached until your sick to death doing it. Step5. Place add in AS trading post and try to recoupe your moneys spent. Step6. Repeat steps 1-5 over and over and over. This is the true way a modern up to date PSP operates. Cleaning off grime dirt and saw chips....pffft those day are long gone!!

Back