Couple saws vs a big beech

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe25DA

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
We had a big beech split and fall on campus last year. Been on my list to take care of but with a crew of 3 time is hard to spare. Found time today. First the tree was still hung on the trunk. Three hard tugs with a chain and the tractor and it was safely on the ground. I grabbed my 440 magnum 25" x 3/8" and my 2800 15" x .325. 45 minutes and a lot of chips later it was bucked up and the small stuff on my stake body.
The tree, one half of it
image.jpg
The saws
image.jpg
The truck
image.jpg
Some wood
Lousy shot but the 25" bar is there for scale
image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg
All done
image.jpg

I just hauled home 2+ cord of beech myself. Thats some heavy **** right there. First time cutting beech besides some small stuff. Still have about 2 more trailer loads.

We actually way overloaded my 16x6 double axle landscape trailer. I had a student of mine loading the rounds as I bucked them up. Before we knew it she was very well rounded. Road dead x until we lost 1 tire, put the spare on and made it the rest of the way. Turns out 3500lbs axles can hold way more than they are rated for. If my estimates are correct we were around 9000lbs plus

I just hauled home 2+ cord of beech myself. Thats some heavy **** right there. First time cutting beech besides some small stuff. Still have about 2 more trailer loads.

We actually way overloaded my 16x6 double axle landscape trailer. I had a student of mine loading the rounds as I bucked them up. Before we knew it she was very well rounded. Road dead x until we lost 1 tire, put the spare on and made it the rest of the way. Turns out 3500lbs axles can hold way more than they are rated for. If my estimates are correct we were around 9000lbs plus

It sure is heavy. I loaded the smaller rounds 12"-24" with the tractor and with a full bucket I could sure feel the weight. The huge pieces, I tried rolling up into the bucket but I was going up hill with rotted limbs speed bumping me. Those stay until I have help. The days of me hurting myself trying to prove something to myself:dumb: Are over

Surprised a beech that big wasn't hollow...about every big beech I've cut was hollowed out at least a little bit.

It burns good, but can be a bear to split sometimes!

Surprised a beech that big wasn't hollow...about every big beech I've cut was hollowed out at least a little bit.

It burns good, but can be a bear to split sometimes!

This side of the tree was solid. The trunk is still standing, the side I cut fell first and the bigger side fell last fall. Looks like the tree separated at its "V". I'll look today but I doubt the other side is hollow. I think strong winds took it down

Latest posts

Back