Why not a cheap chainsaw bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here a known chinese clone brand has a new 90cc saw with a chicom bar which believe it or not is a NE roller nose bar. So they are making bars, don't forget many name brands have bars out of china, mainly the sub 20" laminated homeowner styles. But l would'nt mind a new china roller nose for giggles.

Well, Blount Mfg has a factory in China, and it was noted in another thread that some of the Carlton products that Baileys sells are coming in Made In China, so it is already in the pipeline.

'Made in China' does not ave to be bad. Of course the Apple computer I use to access A. S., and most Windows computers, are manufactured there.

Chinese factories are capable if producing high quality OPE too, with the right QA/QC procedures, and if the customer wants that. But if the customer asks for the lowest possible cost, regardless of quality, they can get that too.

That is why I have more confidence in brand names that have their own factories overseas, than those who use contract manufacturers.

Philbert

There will always be closeout and overstock type sales on eBay, etc. And there will always be 'cheap' (as in poor quality) versus 'cheap' (as in low price) products offered for sale. Svk's post (above) references a local store that sells basic quality Oregon bar and chain sets at that price, any day of the week. Sometimes, they go on sale for less.

I bought some closeout bar and chain sets from Bailey's for $13, a few years back, just for the chains, then sold the bars on CL for $10 each. Everybody got a good deal! But it is not something to count on being there when needed.

Philbert

I suspect these things are the first type of cheap you mentioned. And sellers must have been overstocked for a couple of years now. :surprised3:

Philbert is right about the quality in China, they will make what ever quality the customer wants or is willing to pay for. Its usually not the choice of a china man that the stuff we complain about is the way it is. Its usually a clever westerner that wants to penetrate the market with a new 'price point'. lt needs to change if we are to be more sustainable, as these products enter landfill rather quickly as they are not worth fixing.l have two compressors that are headed to the tip. lf only the original buyer from china specified they cost a few more dollars, them compressors would work for years. lts the little things usually like seals, orings that fail not the motor or main components.

Philbert is right about the quality in China, they will make what ever quality the customer wants or is willing to pay for. Its usually not the choice of a china man that the stuff we complain about is the way it is. Its usually a clever westerner that wants to penetrate the market with a new 'price point'. lt needs to change if we are to be more sustainable, as these products enter landfill rather quickly as they are not worth fixing.l have two compressors that are headed to the tip. lf only the original buyer from china specified they cost a few more dollars, them compressors would work for years. lts the little things usually like seals, orings that fail not the motor or main components.

Agreed in part, about some of the quality issues being brought on by less than stringent QA/QC mandates. However lets not forget the melanine in the pet food, or the use of lead based paint on the Chinese manufactured Hot Wheels toys, and I'm sure there are other instances of the ChiCom manufacturing plants looking for other less than above board cost cutting measures.

I do agree that the Wal Mart mentality has lead to the development of our current "disposable" attitude in the U.S.

I had a conversation with an engineer from a US company with 'their own' factory in China. He said that they test their products to failure, and often times, adding a few more dollars for better bearings, switches, etc., increases the product life significantly. But, if they just send the product out for bid, by a contractor, they get the lowest cost, lowest quality components. I don't have a presence in China, so I have to go by the reputation of the manufacturer. It helps if you have some confidence in the brand, or the product support by the company you buy from.

Philbert

I have been using Forester brand bars for 2 years now and I have been more than happy with them.

Before that I would use Oregon bars and I'd end up wearing one of those bars out within a year. I have been doing the same amount of cutting with these forester bars as I have done with the Oregon bars and I'm going on 2 years with the forester bars vs 1 year what I used to get with Oregon.

Plus forester bars are at least 1/2 price of the equivalent Oregon bar....

Back