Ported 026 Squish Check

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stopped using solder and just use plastiguage, solder can give a bigger reading than it actually is.
Does plastiguage work like the solder and if so when checking squish do you use grease as a "sticky base" to hold it in place? And what thickness is the one you use to check squish?

Use it the same as solder but it takes 0 effort to smash. It comes in different sizes, I never checked the size of it unsmashed

Does plastiguage work like the solder and if so when checking squish do you use grease as a "sticky base" to hold it in place? And what thickness is the one you use to check squish?
I use only plastiguage. Two different tickness. I have plastiguage PL-C (green), 0.007-0.020", the other one is plastiguage PL-D (brown), 0,020-0,040".
I normally place a dash grease where there is no checking for clearance, but have no grease close to the piston edge.

Likely dumb question.

When you use plastigauge, do you measure it with the width guide that it is supplied with it, or with a micrometer?

After it is squished of course.

I've noticed the same things others have here. Solder seems to overestimate squish. The problem gets worse when the base diameter of the solder is much bigger than the squish measurement.

Likely dumb question.

When you use plastigauge, do you measure it with the width guide that it is supplied with it, or with a micrometer?

After it is squished of course.

I've noticed the same things others have here. Solder seems to overestimate squish. The problem gets worse when the base diameter of the solder is much bigger than the squish measurement.
you use the plastigauge guide that is supplied with it. Plastigauge is so soft that å mirometer wouldn't give correct size. Also why I only grease the base of the plastigauge, dont want anything who can disturb the squish checking.
Also, the red plastigauge PL-A is for thinner distance checking, can't remember, but something like 0,001-0,007".

I know I will only use plastigauge for checking my squish, nothing else

.015"-.016" is plenty for a 50cc saw. But, I don't run an un-tapered, wide squishband either.

Sorry to hijack, but what do you mean by untapered, wide squishband? What is the advantage of tapering it i guess is what I'm getting at....seems like that would make a larger CC combustion chamber therefore decreasing compression, but I guess it's compensated for by using a tighter squish. Maybe I've answered my own question lol

Matt

.0125????

Eyeballs-250pixels.jpg
I think you need your thyroid checked Randy....

I need another compression tester. Mine all suck.

I'm pulling 175psi with one and 200 with the other. Mine eat schrader valves.

The one that's reading 200 has read low by 50psi on occasion.

This engine feels really tight, like 250 psi tight.
I bought white Schrader valves for mine....by the 10 pack. If you want a few, pm me your addy

Latest posts

Back