New kinetic splitter design, belt clutch to engage pinion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelaycheck

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
After reading the SS log lift thread, I was doing a google search on the history of kinetic splitters. Didn't find much, but I did find a recent patent application. It seems that on this splitter, the rack and pinion are always engaged and the pinion is activated by a belt clutch.
Forcing the stationary rack into a rotating pinion with no load or the ram stopped by a log doesn't seem to cause any problems for the SS. So do you think this design has any merit. Reason for asking is that one day I plan on building a kinetic splitter, that is, if I ever complete my hydro splitter build. Would this belt clutch idea be something that you would use if you were to build one?

kinetic_splitter_1-page-001.jpg kinetic_splitter_2-page-001.jpg

I got the pics to work for those that would like to view them. I think they were too large before.
I tried the USPTO website today but they say they are down due to a power outage that took out their equipment.

I gave thought to that idea a few years ago. several alternate ideas involving chains instead of the rack and pinon, and using a clutch and pressure plate from a truck, etc. Honestly I have to say that the current system is the simplest as long as the metal is up to the task. The advantage of remaining in gear would be far better control of the gear engagement.

The neatest idea would be a power out and power back setup. I'd have to do a bunch of doodling and thinking about this but I am going to state that this would be possible with a single planetary gear set and some bands on drums to engage the thing.

Back