Marvel mystery oil??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why put oil in an air system? Seems like it would gunk up everything. Only thing we use is methyl hydrate (methanol)
The mechanic told me that the methanol would dry out any seals or o rings in your system.. Mmo wouldn't and he has used it for years..

No lie, my grandpa used to rub it on his arthritis and would swear if you rub it in good it would help!

I heard it was like atf mixed with kerosene. I've heard the old timers talk about adding a pint of kerosene to the motor oil to help rid the engine of gunk and build up. Just what I heard. I'm a Lucas fan. I add it to my fuel, use oil stabilizer in my engines and transmission anti-slip, and also use their gear oils. Stuff works.

International 856 owner's manual says to cut 30wt oil with kero in colder temperatures. Not necessary with today's oils but was interesting to read.

The mechanic told me that the methanol would dry out any seals or o rings in your system.. Mmo wouldn't and he has used it for years..

Where are you adding it to the air system? If at the compressor it would just gunk up the air dryer filter and get spit out the spitter valve on the air dryer.

No lie, my grandpa used to rub it on his arthritis and would swear if you rub it in good it would help!
I also heard my grandpa talk about soaking wounds in kerosene to take the soreness away back in the day. He said before his passing that kerosene today has the dye in it and isn't good for you.
International 856 owner's manual says to cut 30wt oil with kero in colder temperatures. Not necessary with today's oils but was interesting to read.
I'll look it up. That does sound interesting. [emoji4]

Where are you adding it to the air system? If at the compressor it would just gunk up the air dryer filter and get spit out the spitter valve on the air dryer.
I put it in the line coming out of the dryer.

Maybe so but MMO does nothing to moisture while methanol does... ie.. whole reason to use it!
All I know is what he told me.. He has ran a truck repair shop for many years.. And has many many customers.. I figure if he doesn't know what he is doing, he would have been out of business long ago..

All I know is what he told me.. He has ran a truck repair shop for many years.. And has many many customers.. I figure if he doesn't know what he is doing, he would have been out of business long ago..

Maybe so but MMO does nothing to moisture while methanol does... ie.. whole reason to use it!
did he tell you why to put it in? you didn't mention a moisture/ freezing problem?

i use it every fill up on the truck otherwise my fuel economy drops by 2 mpg.

did he tell you why to put it in? you didn't mention a moisture/ freezing problem?
I was actually at the parts store picking up a new air dryer and he was in there .. I told him the problem I was having not being able to build any air pressure.. He asked if I used any methanol and I said yes.. That's when he told me to put the mmo in the line coming out of the dryer..

Our feed mill runs off air with air gates etc. We have a oiler inline that we keep MMO in to keep everything working

...my grandpa used to rub it on his arthritis...

I have a brother who, in the dark and the heat of the moment, once grabbed for the KY and ended up using Mink Oil for a lube...
That stuff will soften leather. Needless to say, it was an eventful and entertaining evening as those of us drinking beer downstairs began hearing the hootin' and hollerin' and cussin' going on upstairs.

I have a brother who, in the dark and the heat of the moment, once grabbed for the KY and ended up using Mink Oil for a lube...
That stuff will soften leather. Needless to say, it was an eventful and entertaining evening as those of us drinking beer downstairs began hearing the hootin' and hollerin' and cussin' going on upstairs.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I was actually at the parts store picking up a new air dryer and he was in there .. I told him the problem I was having not being able to build any air pressure.. He asked if I used any methanol and I said yes.. That's when he told me to put the mmo in the line coming out of the dryer..

I run into that problem regularly, you have water frozen in the line in a low spot between the air compressor and the air dryer. I disconnect air line at compressor pour in some airline antifreeze alcohol down air line, and then crack loose the air line at the air dryer where the line comes in from air compressor, then I will also end up heating the line and fitting at the air dryer soon the alcohol will start leaking out the loosened line. Start engine you will now hear the compressor air coming out the line, tighten the lines up and now air pressure will build.

I run into that problem regularly, you have water frozen in the line in a low spot between the air compressor and the air dryer. I disconnect air line at compressor pour in some airline antifreeze alcohol down air line, and then crack loose the air line at the air dryer where the line comes in from air compressor, then I will also end up heating the line and fitting at the air dryer soon the alcohol will start leaking out the loosened line. Start engine you will now hear the compressor air coming out the line, tighten the lines up and now air pressure will build.
That is how its done. MMO has no place in a pneumatic system.

Back