New 550 XP problem or just break in question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adirondack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just ran the second tank of gas through the saw and it's starting to run much better. Amazing saw except for one issue. When going from cut to cut when I pull the trigger it wants to die. I have to barely squeeze The trigger until it picks up a little bit and then it won't die but if I just pull the trigger to go for The next big cut it dies. Will this most likely go away or should I take it back to the dealer?
Thanks

I requested the dealer to run the saw and I assumed they would find any issues before I took it. Would they have found that air bleed issue with their computer with their computer software? I'm guessing they just started it and then turned it off. Anyway thanks for the help and Merry Christmas and I will definitely take the saw back after this weekend because I've got a lot of cutting to do on Saturday.

The air bleed is a weird sort of low speed adjustment hidden under a plug in the carb. This may or not be enough to get it working right.
Get them to sort it out, it may well be a bigger issue.

Most dealers aren't even aware that the air bleed screw exists.
Where abouts in the Adks are you located?
Thanks. Sounds like I may have to point the dealer in the right direction. I live in Southern Wisconsin not the Adks. I use to build acoustic guitars and used Adirondack tops. Hince the name. Thanks for all the help and have a Merry Christmas.

It's just a chainsaw, it's lean off idle or the idle is too low.
The list of reasons doesn't change because it's an autotune saw.
A good dealer will find the correct diagnosis, I will be curious to hear of the end result, irrespective of what I would try first.

I’ve heard in other posts some members mention “notching” the throttle plates ? Does anyone have any more information specifically explaining how you go about doing so? I’ve got an at 7b off a 545 with 25 hours on the meter. It’s exhibiting the loading up at idle when left idle longer then 30 sec, as well as the notorious off idle acceleration bogg. This being One of the most recent 545 carbs it’s got me stumpted. The carb pressure checks solid as well as vacuum tests solid when checking the main nozzle for potential leaks. The way everything checks it’s very odd. The saw has been pressure vac tested as well passes with flying colors. Brass plug removed an air bleed screw has been checked an set at 1.5 turn from lightly seated as seems to be the average give or take 1/8 turn either way. Everything seems to be where it needs to be , tps zeroes out on common service tool tests , an carb has latest and greatest firmware installed, it has been default reset numerous times to no avail. Any input would be greatly appriciated.

I’ve heard in other posts some members mention “notching” the throttle plates ? Does anyone have any more information specifically explaining how you go about doing so? I’ve got an at 7b off a 545 with 25 hours on the meter. It’s exhibiting the loading up at idle when left idle longer then 30 sec, as well as the notorious off idle acceleration bogg. This being One of the most recent 545 carbs it’s got me stumpted. The carb pressure checks solid as well as vacuum tests solid when checking the main nozzle for potential leaks. The way everything checks it’s very odd. The saw has been pressure vac tested as well passes with flying colors. Brass plug removed an air bleed screw has been checked an set at 1.5 turn from lightly seated as seems to be the average give or take 1/8 turn either way. Everything seems to be where it needs to be , tps zeroes out on common service tool tests , an carb has latest and greatest firmware installed, it has been default reset numerous times to no avail. Any input would be greatly appriciated.

My 550xpg done the same but not so much in the cold when used the most. Longer it idled the bigger the bog and even black smoke. 2 different dealers looked at it . Took it apart myself to find the inlet lever setting way above the carb body and not level as the service manual states. Been great since and no bog after 3 minutes of idle .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What you described is like what used to happen to the old solid block 394xp prior to them redesigning the intake tract an rubber isolating it . The vibration an harmonics was relentless in raising those carbs metering leavers overtime an flooding the saw so bad the crankcases would fill w fuel as the saws set overnight!

Latest posts

Back