What did this 576XP ingest?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishnuts2

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I knowingly bought this 3 yr old 576 from original owner today with little or no compression.

Pulled the muffler and plug and saw very little scoring, but found the problem when I pulled the jug. It looks like something came in by a transfer and had a hard encounter with the piston.

If it was a crank bearing, wouldn't the crankcase be a little torn up? The pictures show how clean, and oily the crankcase is. The wrist pin and bearing are clean and full of oil too.

The throttle plate screws are intact and there was no evidence in the muffler of anything either. I know I'm the first to tear it apart because of all the saw cake on it.

What do you guys think?
f3ac63242e5ef34ca358149c8315ddec.jpg
f36cf8a1855115f5ef7ea5729930412d.jpg
e809b9d0de63e90144df7e2fa025fdb3.jpg
1f4afd38338b6c4c674e581fb6fe8f6b.jpg
3a0b96c826d878b279b4b3e14819cc4f.jpg
f93c826e4a1cdeafba487337c866ddcf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Piston pin circlips accounted for? Bearings not missing any pieces? Tip or piece of insulator broke off a spark plug (perhaps a previously installed one)? Someone put a screwdriver in the cylinder to use as a piston stop and it broke a piece of the screwdriver tip off?
Lots of possibilities but make sure you know there's no more parts floating around before reassembly.

I forgot to mention the piston pin circlips were just fine too. The plug looks old enough to be the original. The saw was used as a back up and doesn't seem to have many hours on it.

i had a piston ring line up pin come out of a cheap piston once and why i went to meteor pistons

I have seen 2 Pistons break and wreak havoc like on these saws. There is a new piston and ring set from Husqvarna. I don't know if it was heat or stress that broke them but I put new Pistons in them and they have run well ever since.

I had a similar piston, out of a super clean, low hour stihl 046. The con rod bearing let out a piece, and the piece went up through the transfer port. everything else was fine, a small nick in the transfer port. I ended up selling it to a local guy who smashed his 046 and the crank and topend were still good in his, I sold it all to him, and he got it running again.

Could be any number of previously stated things, weird stuff can and does happen. Regardless what I do in that situation is replace all bearings when you rebuild. Also make sure the carb has all pieces intact. I had a polaris come into the shop that broke the jet needle off and weasled its way into the top end and simulated a loose piston circlip.

Keep rotating your crankshaft until you spot the bad spot on the big end bearing cage. I'm not sure if the case bearings have a welded metal cage or not, so get a good look at those too.
Here is a pic of what you may find....

2015-11-06 15.51.28.jpg

Here's a pic of the piston it claimed....

2015-11-06 15.50.40.jpg

The steel the bearing cages are made from is very hard and the smallest piece will create significant damage to soft aluminum. The damaged spot on the bearing was hidden and felt like a good bearing until I rotated it enough times to expose it.

Keep rotating your crankshaft until you spot the bad spot on the big end bearing cage. I'm not sure if the case bearings have a welded metal cage or not, so get a good look at those too.

View attachment 473627

View attachment 473629

The steel the bearing cages are made from us very hard and the smallest piece will create significant damage to soft aluminum. The damaged spot on the bearing was hidden and felt like a good bearing until I rotated it enough times to expose it.
Been there, the conrods needle bearing outer cage gave up on my Dolmar MS-30U weedeater, a fairly large piece made its way into the combustion chamber and eventually got chewed by the piston at full WOT!
A rebuild was financially un economic so I called it a total loss. :(
That was a disappointing experience!
I still miss that weedeater, had good power, extreme rpm's and great handling.

Will post up some pictures of the carnage once I get to my desktop PC.

I second the bearing failure theory as that damage looks very much like my totaled weedeaters piston.

View attachment 473627

View attachment 473629

The steel the bearing cages are made from us very hard and the smallest piece will create significant damage to soft aluminum. The damaged spot on the bearing was hidden and felt like a good bearing until I rotated it enough times to expose it.

Jim, I think you got it. That piston damage is identical to mine. Now I have a lot of work to find and repair the damage. I'm starting part-time at a saw shop so that will be helpful.
Or maybe I should just part it out and not stick any more into it?

Back