New Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VThokee

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am new to this forum and have been kinda lurking around the last month or so. I purchased myself a new Stihl MS170 on Blackfriday from my local dealer. I used to own a MS210 but when I moved to NM I sold it. When I went to the dealer, I wasn't 100% sure what I wanted, I'm not going to be doing professional logging but wanted something to take with me to the mountains to cut up firewood while scouting for elk in the summer months. My dealer talked me into the MS170, he said that it is plenty of saw for what I wanted to do. So on Christmas day I was scrambling to find more fire wood and took the saw out to a friends ranch to cut some wood that he had laying down in his horse pasture. Overall I feel like the saw did well, the logs weren't huge but I was cutting some seasoned Elm for the most part it cut right through it but on a few of the bigger pieces you could tell the saw that was giving it all she had. After cutting the small load it has me wanting a bigger saw. Should I try the 170 out in the mountains or bite the bullet and buy a little bigger saw?

Buy a little bigger saw. Everyone will push you away from homeowner saws...but in all reality..for the amount that you may use it, properly taken careof, it will last many, many years. Try to get something in the 60+ cc for stuff a little bigger

If buying a new one...what kind of price range are
You looking? Lots of people here to help!!

I would like to stay under $300 and I really like the Stihl brand. Here is a pic of the small load of elm I cut up.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 31
I have been looking a lot yesterday and today. The nasty weather has us stuck inside. I'm thinking maybe 40-45cc would be a little better suited for me. Especially up in the mountains of NM.

The MS250 is one I have been looking at. I'm going to see if the local dealer might have a used one to try and save me a little cash. I have also looked at a couple Echos. But I know no matter where I move to there will be a Stihl dealer.

Ported ms661 or stock 395 is what he needs, with a 36" reduced wieght bar that is shiny as a mirror. What you really need is a deuce eleven aka ms211 or if your wiser and don't suffer brand brainwash, the dolmar 421 would be the ticket. Good sponsers here can hook you up and will stand by that saw. Don't let your budget or brand bias prevent you from owning a quality saw!!

What about the Husqvarna 445? Has 15 more cc's and could put the 18" bar on it and still under my $300 budget.

Latest posts

Back