Helping an old friend out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin in Ohio

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
MVC-001S_17.JPG

An old time family friend said he was going to have to take a bunch of trees out as the ash bore had done their thing. He's over 80 years old and still gets after it. I offered, no insisted, to help as they are close to his house on hilly ground. He had a few cut when I got there.

MVC-002S_19.JPG

We are going to cable most all these and do it the slow way so we don't have any surprises.

MVC-003S_12.JPG

3 more down in the back and there are more away from the house but he wanted to get all of the ones close to the house first so we'll move to the front.

MVC-004S_10.JPG

Cutting a lot of these higher with larger hinge cuts. Then pull them down slowly. This one in the process of being pulled and did a wedge hinge to get it to roll instead of being a hanger. You can see how much it was leaning as it still has not overcentered at this point.

MVC-005S_7.JPG

4 more down and he wanted the one in the very center to slip between the 2 trees on either side. Not my choice but that is where he wanted it. We are using a pulley point at the bottom of the hill and cranking it tight way to the left.

MVC-006S_5.JPG

Everything is going exactly where he wanted it and we are all happy about that.

MVC-007S_3.JPG

Cable goes to the tree in the center of the pic then back up the fence line out of camera range. Takes a 100ft cable 50 cable, chain on 2 trees and strap on the pulley tree.

MVC-002S_20.JPG

Tree hung up some in the top but cranked the cable till it stopped. the hooked it to a tractor and pulled it the rest of the way down using the cable.

MVC-003S_13.JPG

Most of these trees are 16 - 30 inches in diameter and like telephone poles. I hook a chain around the tree and attach the cable to that using an extension ladder. Ground is pretty hilly around and that slows things up. Owner of the property in the pic here, he's 82 years old and is amazing to me.

MVC-004S_11.JPG

Have about 8 dead ones along his drive. Power lines on other side and naturally most lean that way. Most were cabled as we didn't want any surprises.

MVC-005S_8.JPG

Bad pic but trees are pretty thick and most had no good way to fall away from power lines without getting hung up. Slowly but surely we got them safely down

MVC-006S_6.JPG

2 more down along the drive.

MVC-007S_4.JPG

Here you can see the power lines and the road out there. Steep hill on the right

MVC-008S_2.JPG

Down the hill they go and he'll drag them back up to cut.

MVC-009S_1.JPG

30 incher done. Slope is steeper than it looks.

We'll get back over there after Christmas to get the rest down and start cleaning up all of them. Going to have a fair amount of wood and a LOT of work yet to go.

Looks like a lot of nice wood, I see a lot of cutting and splitting in your future. And no white stuff on the ground to make it interesting.

Probably not a lot of splitting as he made a cart with a hook to move rounds into the house. His motto has always been, "If I can get it through the door, I'll burn it as it is."

Your friend has the same stance that one of mine does who is his same age. Tough tough tough man. Kinda that been there done that and have the lunch box branded on their chest.

Good on you for helping him. That is a lot of wood.

Your friend has the same stance that one of mine does who is his same age. Tough tough tough man. Kinda that been there done that and have the lunch box branded on their chest.

Good on you for helping him. That is a lot of wood.

He's a Vet and has fused vertrabre in his neck. He STILL rebuilds totals for his daily driver cars and used to do it for money on the side. It was always fun to go over to their place as a kid because you never knew what he building or making. Learned a lot from him and my Dad over the years and he was always interested in what I was into as well. Old school hero to me.

Like to see robust older people an what it takes to make it happen. Most of them never had anything easy , they been threw the gauntlet . I always look up to these people

wow. what a post. great pics!! and the old timer, I hope I can do half that at his age. much respect.

MVC-001S_20.JPG

Went over after Christmas and we started working on getting his saw to work. He had collected 4 Stihl 031's and had parts from I believe 2 others. Checked the compression and took the best one [170 PSI] but wouldn't run. He took a junk saw and cut the rod off and mounted to a drill press. Here we are testing all the coils and condensers to see what we have.

MVC-001S_22.JPG

Don't know if some have used this notch system or not but it works really well on smaller trees you want to wedge but the wedge would get in the way. Basically if the wedge is too big for a tree. Make a face cut like normal, then plunge cut through the center.

MVC-002S_21.JPG

Don't do this on a hard leaner but normal stuff it works great. Go all the way through the back of the tree.

MVC-003S_15.JPG

Go ahead and drive the wedge in as much as you can. Then make lateral cuts above wedge about 3 inches, staying away from the wedge till it is even to the edge of the wedge.

MVC-004S_12.JPG

Here is a view from the one side

MVC-005S_10.JPG

Drive the wedge home and works like a charm. Makes a tongue and groove effect. Like I said though. Do NOT do it on a leaner to the sides or back. Normal trees it works great on.

MVC-006S_7.JPG

I don't remember seeing this posted before so forgive me if it has.

MVC-007S_5.JPG

Got 3 more down and now we're going to cable the one in the center of the pic on the right. You can see Dad between the trees and owners shop to the backside.

MVC-008S_3.JPG

Cable goes to the tree at the top of the hill in the upper right corner, then a pulley directs it to were they are working the winch which is attached at the base of the tree closest to them. I got the notch cut and start the back cut till the get some tension on it.

MVC-009S_2.JPG

Another really nice ash here. He'll take a few logs for lumber out of this one too.

MVC-010S.JPG

Timber! Right where we wanted it.

MVC-011S.JPG

Here's my Dad and our friend cranking up another one out of that clump.

MVC-012S.JPG

Here's the beefy come a long we are using to pull them down. He got it from an Ag equipment dealer he worked for in the 1950's. Double geared, double pawed and with the handle you can get a lot of pull on it.

MVC-013S.JPG

Don't see them made like this anymore.

MVC-014S.JPG

This one was leaning toward his shop pretty hard. Still not overcentered and notice the gap on the back cut.

MVC-015S.JPG

One more down.

MVC-016S.JPG

I tend to leave a healthy hinge and let the winch do it's thing. More controlled that way.

MVC-001S_23.JPG

Ended up being 27 trees total and started bucking them up but ran out of time.

Back